2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI trim question ground wire

My ground wire (one of 2) grounding the trim motor to the engine mount and engine started to heat up and melt the protective coating.

We re crimped the wire connection and tightened the other wire nut that was attached to a zirc fitting. Now the problem seems to have gone away.

Questions are, has anyone had this happen before and if so how did you correct the problem?

The grounding wire connection on one end looks to be accessed only by removing the lower unit. The grounding wires extend out from the lower unit and are attached and grounded to a bolt and zirc fitting on the lower unit exterior housing.

Thanks in advance, Rich trim.pdf
    Last edited by richierich1; 01-11-2023 at 06:13 PM.

2. Member
    I have a 05 225. So your engine was overheating? Or wires getting hot? Where did you crimp the wire? I see the wire to the big bolt and the wire to grease fitting on mine with just a crack to the protective coating. Did you recoat the wires? So you had a wire disconnected?

3. Member
    no overheating, wire connected to big bolt smoked and burnt the protective coating while raising the trim up with the mechanic switch on the outboard. did not recoat the wires. the wire to the zirc fitting was loose and we installed a spacer washer to tighten. we crimped the other wire that is connected to the big bolt to make sure the connection was solid.

the trim motor works fine now and the wire does not smoke anymore.

my gut feeling is that something else is the problem.

4. Member
    Ok thanks. I'll keep eye on my... I did have a bad a trim switch on the outboard years ago....?