Question 2004 TR 186DC Fuel Line Replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the fuel line from the tank to the back on a Triton TR 186DC? Starting in 2004, some genius at Triton decided the large panel to remove for access the fuel tank was no longer needed. The only access you have to the fuel tank is a 4" round hole behind the center seat. I don't even think this is large enough to even replace the sender if needed. Anyway, I pulled on the existing fuel line a little to see if I could get any movement. Nothing! I stuck a light and mirror in that hole to try to get a look over to the starboard side where it would turn to go to the back. To me, it doesn't appear that there is any hole/opening at all. It appears that the fuel line was ran during the build, and then they foamed the entire thing in. The existing fuel line is completely encased in foam over at the far starboard side, and I don't see any opening to even run a new fuel line. Anyone have any experience with running a new fuel line on one of these boats? Any advice other than removing the entire top cap of the boat?

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

2. Member
    There should be a larger access hole behind the passenger seat….my 2007 has two access holes.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

There may be another access hole behind passenger seat, but the fuel line goes the opposite direction towards the starboard side and appears to be completely encased in foam. I just can't figure out how the fuel line is supposed to be replaced. I was hoping someone had done this and could provide any details of how they accomplished this.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

4. Member
    I had an 03 TR186. The seats were attached to a removable platform. When I replaced my fuel lines, I just removed the platform which gives you access to everything. I believe the TR186 had removable platforms until 05 or 06 or sometime after that. There are 10 screws holding it down. When sitting in the seat, there are 3 screws to the right of your leg going straight down. You have to dig around the carpet to find them. There are 3 more on the passenger side. There are 4 more at the back deck level. You have to open both storage compartments and the livewell lids to access those screws. If I remember correctly, they screwed in horizontally. You have to dig around the carpet for all of them. When all the screws are out, you LIFT it up to get the platform out. The back sits on a lip so that's why you have to lift it up first. Once it's off that lip, you can tilt it any way you want. You don't have to remove the seats but it is a little heavy with them attached. It's not bad at all if you have someone help remove the platform with the seats attcahed. I will look to see if I still have photos.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I had an 03 TR186. The seats were attached to a removable platform. When I replaced my fuel lines, I just removed the platform which gives you access to everything. I believe the TR186 had removable platforms until 05 or 06 or sometime after that. There are 10 screws holding it down. When sitting in the seat, there are 3 screws to the right of your leg going straight down. You have to dig around the carpet to find them. There are 3 more on the passenger side. There are 4 more at the back deck level. You have to open both storage compartments and the livewell lids to access those screws. If I remember correctly, they screwed in horizontally. You have to dig around the carpet for all of them. When all the screws are out, you LIFT it up to get the platform out. The back sits on a lip so that's why you have to lift it up first. Once it's off that lip, you can tilt it any way you want. You don't have to remove the seats but it is a little heavy with them attached. It's not bad at all if you have someone help remove the platform with the seats attcahed. I will look to see if I still have photos.
    Hi Mike. Actually the design change happened starting with the 2004 models. Both the OP and myself have 2004 models and neither have this option. The fuel tank is totally enclosed with only small access holes in the panel behind the seats. Only way to access the fuel tank otherwise is to pull the top cap off the entire boat.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Hi Mike. Actually the design change happened starting with the 2004 models. Both the OP and myself have 2004 models and neither have this option. The fuel tank is totally enclosed with only small access holes in the panel behind the seats. Only way to access the fuel tank otherwise is to pull the top cap off the entire boat.
    Thanks for the info. I knew they changed things but thought it was a year or two after.
    I guess my only other suggestion is to maybe try and run a new line vs trying to pull the old one out. If you can get a new line in there, you can just disconnect the old one and tie wrap it to the new one so it doesn’t rattle around. Harborfreight has some flexible fiberglass sticks for running wire. I use them a lot when running wires. You may be able to use them to get to the back then attach the fuel line to it and pull it through.
    Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I knew they changed things but thought it was a year or two after.
    I guess my only other suggestion is to maybe try and run a new line vs trying to pull the old one out. If you can get a new line in there, you can just disconnect the old one and tie wrap it to the new one so it doesn’t rattle around. Harborfreight has some flexible fiberglass sticks for running wire. I use them a lot when running wires. You may be able to use them to get to the back then attach the fuel line to it and pull it through.
    Good Luck
    Yep, those fiberglass fish rods from Harborfreight are awesome. I have used those things multiple times and they work great. Not sure why Triton changed the design regarding access to the fuel tank. Seems like a bad idea but I guess they figured there would not be much of a need to access it. But even trying to change a fuel level sending unit would be a bear on my model and the OPS because the access openings we have are only large enough to get one arm in there at a time.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

8. Member
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I bought a 2004 TR196 and thought about changing seats, and the fuel sending unit appears to be defective. I have been reading about this removable seat panel to access the fuel tank. AS you would guess, I don't have the screws going down the sides of the panel. I thought I was losing my mind. Anyway, just chiming in. Great thread.