Question 2023 RT188P Jack Plate

Go with 4" or 6" hydraulic Bob's? Getting plate to add poles at a later date. Thanks.

2. Member
    I have a 4" Atlas manually adjustable jack plate. No experience with a hydraulic JP, but here is another thought for your consideration. My 2022 RT 188P has 2 lithium batteries, 1 lead starter battery and an Ultrex up front. I have a Tempest 23P 3-blade which I had cup added and a Trophy 4-blade (stock). My boat performs better with the live well 1/2 to 100% full. My suspicion is that the Ultrex makes the boat front-heavy. I have to trim quite a bit and cannot get fully on pad until approximately 5500 RPMs (about 43-45 mph). The hydraulics on your JP will add weight at the stern, but with a hydraulic JP AND poles, it may be too much weight at the back end.

3. Member
    There are a few of us on here with these boats. We are all still on the quest of getting them to preform like we think they should.
    I don’t know that any of us have gotten there yet.
    As to your question on a a jack plate I have a 4” Z lock on mine.
    If I had the choice now I would go with at least a 6”. The 4” in my opinion is just a nice place to mount poles , as I haven’t seen much performance benefit from it .
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

I have a 6” Atlas hydraulic. Not much gain in performance and I’ve rarely adjusted it as my hull likes the motor deep or it likes to porpoise. At top speed it will also cavitate fairly easy so I pretty much leave it down.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360