Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidetracked3 View Post
    Yes went there and saw many Rangers, Vexxus, bass cat. The Vex looked the best but too showy for me. I liked the Rangers too. The bass cats I like besides the cockpit. I wish it was done differently. But I’ll probably be down b/w Bass Cat, Ranger, Skeeter, phoenix or nitro. Boat show is next weekend so I will have a better idea of what I like. Who has top electronics? Hummingbird, Garmin,?????
    The boat show will be great. Focus on build quality such as carpet thickness, vinyl and use of plastic around the front trolling motor,/fishfinder area and the cockpit. I would also take a long look at the trailers. What good is a nice boat if the trailer fails.
    Brad Krone

2. Banned
    Not sure about the rest but the people at Bass Cat People are Great People!

3. Member
    Came out off 2 Rangers one glass one aluminum to a older Basscat 2008 cougar
    This boat is build like a tank
    Fit and finish is very good
    Lots of storage
    Little things like the 6 bolt mount for the motor/jackplate instead of the widely used 4 bolt
    Runs fast but you have to drive it too.
    Also important for me was the fact that they carry parts for it all the way back to 2000? Or earlier

4. Member
    i have a ranger, went from a Champion. while i was in the champion all i heard was how great the rangers are, well my personal feeling the ranger aren't that great, they are good but not great. When i purchased the ranger it was going to be my retirement boat, now wish i would have went to another brand.

Lots of pros which has been listed, but there are a few cons IMO. I have an old '14 Puma that still looks new that I get compliments on all the time. But, here are some cons I can think of, or improvements I would prefer. Maybe some of my cons have been addressed in newer models, IDK.

1) Seat pedestal poles just drop in a nylon bushing in the deck. They don't screw in or latch, and tighten. The pedestal will have a wobble to it.
    2) I don't like the terminal block in the bilge requiring all the daisy chained jumper wires. Too many potential failure points. I had a jumper wire with a failed crimp which took out all components downstream from that jumper wire. A bus bar would be more robust and less likely to have corrosion, and would eliminate the need of jumper wires. I've seen several electrical problems mentioned on the forum that's leads back to the terminal block with corrosion or bad crimps being the cause.
    3) Live wells are large and triangular, and yes I understand the reason, but it comes at the costs of having very small and oddly shaped back storage compartments with small openings, that are among the smallest out there. I don't hear much of traditional rectangular live wells in the other brands of not being adequate enough to keep fish alive and healthy.
    4) I would prefer a top cap integrated tool caddy, and rule holder, instead of an add on.
    5) Integrated tackle storage is lacking, compared to the competition. The Puma net scabard is nice for net storage, but it splits up the storage compartments, and mine likes an inch on either side of the net scabard of being able to neatly stack 3700 boxes sideways. I think more would prefer better tackle storage options over net storage.
    6) The carpeted step box looks cheap. The updated fiberglass step box is an improvement, but it looks like it was a one size fits all design that fits nicely in between the seats of a Caracal, but looks just dropped in the other models where the seats are further apart, creating wasted space, and looking too small.
    7) Non adjustable driver seat. I added a steering wheel spacer, and will also place a boat cushion between myself and the seat on a long ride.
    8) I'd prefer finished fiberglass rod boxes over carpeted ones.
    9) Future availability of proprietary parts is a concern, as with all brands I guess. I have a nexsyslink gauge that quit working, and they are no longer available. I've bought spare part touch panels just in case. I'd hate to have to buy a conversion kit if the panels quit working and they are no longer available.

Don't crucify me. Just my opinions, and preferences. The perfect boat doesn't exist. Please Basscat don't incorporate my cons into a new model. I don't need to buy another boat.
    Last edited by mossie3; 01-12-2023 at 11:04 PM.

6. Member
    After an extensive new boat search... I think I can provide some pros and cons

Pros:. Well built with great trailers and great performance. Great customer service.
    Cons:. Odd interiors. Feels small in interior. Very high priced. Dated styling.

I almost bought a caracal, but just couldn't do it. For the price, there are much better packages out there. The Caymas and the Phoenix have great features and better pricing. Skeeter fxr is a great boat and great package, but priced almost as expensive. Skeeter also makes their own trailers and they are awesome. I would buy the zxr in a heartbeat. It's a hard package to beat, but zxr doesn't have some of the creature comforts of the FXR, Caymas, Phoenix, and bass cat.

Being in Alabama, you owe it to yourself to talk to bucks Island about a skeeter. They also have bass cat. They are the best dealer you'll find in the state... Hands down.

Also, I would talk to Duckett marine about a Caymas. Another great biter that is less expensive than a bass cat. Great hull with awesome ride and performance.
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 01-13-2023 at 10:10 PM.

7. Member
    Don’t just look, drive each boat on your list in the same weather conditions. They all ride great in flat calm water, so pick a windy day.

Get on the trolling motor for awhile—remember this is where you spend 95% of your fishing day. BassCat is different and takes a few minutes to get use to, now to me others feel too far back—if you fish docks and do also lot of pitching/flipping it may be the boat for you. If you fish primarily offshore you may want something where you are not as far forward. Bring a rod and cast some so you can get a feel for it. Yeah, one dealer was not happy when he saw me bring a single rod….

Some like the look of a Cat, others don’t. Your get a vote here.

Lastly, if you think you may trade it in or sell it in a few years, look at how each brand/model holds (or doesn’t hold) its value.

I am more concerned about function, so choose a Cat for the way I fish, the drive. Good luck in your search and post pics of your new ride!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Lots of pros which has been listed, but there are a few cons IMO. I have an old '14 Puma that still looks new that I get compliments on all the time. But, here are some cons I can think of, or improvements I would prefer. Maybe some of my cons have been addressed in newer models, IDK.

1) Seat pedestal poles just drop in a nylon bushing in the deck. They don't screw in or latch, and tighten. The pedestal will have a wobble to it.
    2) I don't like the terminal block in the bilge requiring all the daisy chained jumper wires. Too many potential failure points. I had a jumper wire with a failed crimp which took out all components downstream from that jumper wire. A bus bar would be more robust and less likely to have corrosion, and would eliminate the need of jumper wires. I've seen several electrical problems mentioned on the forum that's leads back to the terminal block with corrosion or bad crimps being the cause.
    3) Live wells are large and triangular, and yes I understand the reason, but it comes at the costs of having very small and oddly shaped back storage compartments with small openings, that are among the smallest out there. I don't hear much of traditional rectangular live wells in the other brands of not being adequate enough to keep fish alive and healthy.
    4) I would prefer a top cap integrated tool caddy, and rule holder, instead of an add on.
    5) Integrated tackle storage is lacking, compared to the competition. The Puma net scabard is nice for net storage, but it splits up the storage compartments, and mine likes an inch on either side of the net scabard of being able to neatly stack 3700 boxes sideways. I think more would prefer better tackle storage options over net storage.
    6) The carpeted step box looks cheap. The updated fiberglass step box is an improvement, but it looks like it was a one size fits all design that fits nicely in between the seats of a Caracal, but looks just dropped in the other models where the seats are further apart, creating wasted space, and looking too small.
    7) Non adjustable driver seat. I added a steering wheel spacer, and will also place a boat cushion between myself and the seat on a long ride.
    9) Future availability of proprietary parts is a concern, as with all brands I guess. I have a nexsyslink gauge that quit working, and they are no longer available. I've bought spare part touch panels just in case. I'd hate to have to buy a conversion kit if the panels quit working and they are no longer available.

Don't crucify me. Just my opinions, and preferences. The perfect boat doesn't exist. Please Basscat don't incorporate my cons into a new model. I don't need to buy another boat.
    some of your cons are valid and some are not. Coming from a ranger I can say those seat posts are junk. I had to replace the bushings in mine after under 100 hours on the boat and all my buddies that have a ranger all their seat post a wobble like a tall tree in the wind. I also see where you coming from with the electrical system but it's very simple and there's not many other manufacturers that run heavy wire to their graphs. The liveswells, they are what they are. Work well, then again my ranger wells works just as good. Yes the rear storage boxes are a little smaller then others but there is also storage under the driver/passenger seats and my cougar has more storage then I can use. The storage layout is one of the reasons I preferred the bass cat over other traditional laid out models. I can split up my tackle very specifically as well as a day box that's just money. The seats in my last ranger were larger but the ones in my caugar are more firm. I love the layout and the build quality is top notch. And the most imparting part... it fishes great when the trolling motor is in the water.

9. Member
    I've had
    1 Stratos
    3 Rangers
    1 Skeeter
    1 Triton
    3 BassCats and currently have a 2022 Cougar

The BassCat I currently have is the best boat I have ever had, the Skeeter was the worse boat I have ever had, and by a wide margin.
    Every thing in a BassCat is there for a reason. It's been thought out, planned, and manufactured to the best level possible.
    What makes them different, is what makes them better.

10. Member
    I have a 2014 puma previously had a 2005 puma. Very happy with the boat overall I agree that the terminal block in the back could be done better.The access of the bow for the trolling motor and to rig electronics is horrible .I understand the newer boats have a access hole under the trolling motor and I plan to add one to my boat.Rod organizers are not the easiest to use again I know many guys have just removed them .i like the fact that there is no plastic trim in the boat but the center box between the seats really .My boat went for over 65 thousand and the box is made of wood and is not water proof at all .Now the trailer.first instead of solid crossmembers they welded sections Why? I’ve already had one weld break and was very lucky to find someone to weld it with the boat on the trailer not easy to do in NJ.Another person I know had his trailer break in the same spot and the basscat Facebook group has numerous guys complaining about poor welding .All the brackets that hold the bunks are rusting and I had to scrap and prime and repaint them.i should add my boat is kept in a pole barn .the trailer wiring For the lights looks like it was done by a drunk spider monkey.I will applaud Rick and basscat for being honest when they discover problems. Such as the vault hubs and their customer service .In ending I think bbc really has to look at their QC on their trailers .Would I get another basscat I’m not sure

11. Member
    I will chime in on this subject i run a z521c 2014 model w/ 250 pxs i absolutely love my boat and its been my best to date but over the years I've studied the build process and structural integrity on the brand from bow to stern trailer to transom i honestly can say I spoke with Rick Pierce at Lake Conroe and he never bashed any other brand in our conversation he builds an amazing boat and I will be in a Basscat when I decide to change brands if I ever get the right price or trade in, im a west coast guy and its mostly Ranger/Basscat out here to everyone who builds these dream rigs for everybody thank you for all your hard work and effort and for keeping the sport alive god bless america.

I feel that Bass Cats are not the best boat in any one thing except support and service, but make list of all features qualities and grade each one on a scale of 1 to 10 and Bass Cats are come up first in total points, Total package is what is important,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Rick Pierce is one, and the real, advantage to BCB. He's been doing this a long time and his institutional knowledge and industry knowledge is not matched anywhere. Everyone has "their" brand and that is fine; however, as we have seen most major brands leave their respective position and be collected under the White River Marine group, you must ask yourself where this leaves you as a customer. It's not as good a position as you would have been in with Ranger being Ranger or X-Brand being X-Brand. Yes, BCB is now owned by Correct Craft but this is a boat company that has a long existence as well and Rick is still running the show with all the above knowledge. This advantage cannot currently be topped by any brand. The only question is does the BCB boats fit you; who's the best is undebatable.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Moderator
    Ranger owner here. Mine is a 2012. Been the best boat I've ever owned. Cabelas in KC is where I usually take it if I were to ever need anything. They are a great dealer and have been absolutely perfect to me. That being said, I'd have a huge issue if I was going to buy a new rig. I'd want a cat but there isn't a dealer close. I think that BCB builds the best boat on the water. Strictly my opinion. However, from the list you made, they are all darned good boat. I'd love a new Cat or a Ranger. Tough "problem" to have. My dream boat is a Puma STS, Mercury 300.

15. Member
    There is no better boat than a Bass Cat. None. Period. End of story. Nobody, and I mean nobody builds one like Rick does. Dont care what anyone thinks, there is no better constructed boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    There is no better boat than a Bass Cat. None. Period. End of story. Nobody, and I mean nobody builds one like Rick does. Dont care what anyone thinks, there is no better constructed boat.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Ranger owner here. Mine is a 2012. Been the best boat I've ever owned. Cabelas in KC is where I usually take it if I were to ever need anything. They are a great dealer and have been absolutely perfect to me. That being said, I'd have a huge issue if I was going to buy a new rig. I'd want a cat but there isn't a dealer close. I think that BCB builds the best boat on the water. Strictly my opinion. However, from the list you made, they are all darned good boat. I'd love a new Cat or a Ranger. Tough "problem" to have. My dream boat is a Puma STS, Mercury 300.
    My next boat will be a Cat...I am with you the STS is badass, but that will be $105K-$110K which is completely ridiculous.
    Boatless

18. Member
    Ken Smith has a great video of basically all available bass boats on the market. Check it out. (Hint - Bass Cat won)

Bass Cat Puma STS, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Lowrance Ghost - In Sunny Florida

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post

I'm coming out of a Lynx for many of your exact reasons. No doubt the boats are quality built just a bit to quirky for me. Your points are valid.

20. Member
    Putting in my 2 cents
    5 champions
    2 rangers
    5 Basscat’s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast