Best mapping card for NY state

Just curious if anyone that has experience with using different brands of electronics and map cards can shed some light on which seems to be the better option for New York State as a whole (Champlain to the St Lawrence and everything in between). I know Lakemaster is highly recommended for the southern states but I don’t have much experience with it myself. Have some experience with Navionics and currently using C-Maps on my Lowrance (which I’m happy with). I know some people like to use two different brands of electronics at the console for multiple mapping options. Just curious to hear some opinions..

- Lakemaster vs C-maps
    - Lakemaster vs Navionics
    - C-maps vs Navionics

2. Member
    See the thread below on a chip for Chautauqua Lake, it covers the whole state pretty well.

3. Member
    I have found that if lakemaster has the lake in their HD contours it is phenomenal. If you run humminbird units they will give you added features (depth highlights, follow the contour, fishsmart, etc.)
    . Here is a link to their lake lists for the NE. Bold names indicate HD contours. https://johnsonoutdoors.widen.net/co...rtheast-v1.pdf

I have found navionics to be better all around, it has every lake, some are better contours than others. Whereas if lakemaster doesn't have a lake at all, it won't have any contours. You can check the navionics webapp to get an idea of what the contours would look like for your lakes. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=kpxfG~asxM.

I have no experience with c-maps.

Majority of the lakes I fish have the lakemaster HD contours, so that would be my choice. I do have an old navionics card that I use from time to time if the lake isnt on my lakemaster (Lake Erie, and some parts of Lake Ontario)
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

4. Member
    Sounds like some have both navionics and lakemaster. I mainly fish champlain, any way I could convince someone to post some side by side screenshots of champlain comparing navionics to lakemaster HD? Currently using navionics and wondering if Im missing out, and if so by how much?

You want Lakemaster for Champlain
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

6. Member
    I've never fished Champlain, but I prefer Lakemaster for the lakes I fish, to include Lake Ontario and Oneida Lake. I have the "luxury" of having a Humminbird Helix 10 and a Lowrance HDS Carbon 12 on my helm, so I can compare Lakemaster and Navionics side by side. As mentioned above, Lakemaster HD lakes have outstanding detail for contours. In fact, the Navionics HD lakes are real nice too.

7. Member
    I've heard Navionics is better for navigating the Canadian side of St. Lawrence. Other than that, Lakemaster.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    I've heard Navionics is better for navigating the Canadian side of St. Lawrence. Other than that, Lakemaster.
    This is the answer, I have both and use Lakemaster for the majority of the lakes I fish. That is because Lakemaster only covers the NY side of the river.
    2023 Phoenix 819 Pro
    2023 Mercury 200 ProXS

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
    This is the answer, I have both and use Lakemaster for the majority of the lakes I fish. That is because Lakemaster only covers the NY side of the river.
    If you fish between Massena and Ogdensburg the LM Ontario card has the Canadian side of that section in HD.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax