Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    But think of all the other things you'll be able to do... you'll have all kinds of new friends that can chip in a few bucks each time you hook up to their engine, too.
    Thats my problem no friends lol Truthfully, I have friends but non (that I know of ) that will benefit from me owning marine software. I don't tournament fish so I'm not rubbing shoulders with those guys.
    Im still pondering getting the diagnostics system but I don't have to be in a hurry yet. To cold and nasty to fish right now anyway. Part of me wants to sell the boat and find something less dealer dependent.
    It just pisses me off that something so simple has to cost so much. Beyond swapping that oil tank I've done about everything to this engine I can to have it at tip top shape.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    You could try the Georgia forum section and see if anyone near you has the software and will let you use it to do the prime sequence.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    You could try the Georgia forum section and see if anyone near you has the software and will let you use it to do the prime sequence.
    Now thats a great idea ill do that thanks

4. Member
    I had to change the oil tank on the motor a couple of years ago. I didn’t know anything about doing it by computer. The only thing I did was let the oil flow for a bit just to check for air. I haven’t had any issues with it. I guess I should have checked on here. I will be picking some brains soon. 🤷🏻*♂️🤣

5. Member
    Ok guys I've changed that tank and ran it for some time now. I gave up on trying to find someone to do the prime sequence. I know its pulling oil because I placed sharpie marks on the onboard oil tank so I can watch the oil levels and it goes down at the normal rate that it always does. And the on-engine tank is staying full. Before I did the swap I tried opening the cap on the engine tank while running using muffs. never got any oil to spew from the tank. Same now after the swap. I got a few bubbles to spew but nothing like a spill over. Ive been told that the check valve supplying pressure from the crankcase could be bad. Should I pursue this farther or call it good?
    This was my method right or wrong.
    Took off the port side lower cowl.
    I unbolted the tank and tied it as high as I could . As I pulled off the lines I tied them also as high as possible so as to not lose oil.
    I had some nipple plugs ready and slid those over the tank nipples. Very little mess.
    Then I filled the new tank and while keeping it up as high as possible placed the oil lines back on and bolted it in place.
    I even sucked oil up through the supply line to make sure oil would pull from the boat tank. and it did very easily.
    Then after trying to get it to pump oil out of the top numerous times . I used a dropper and filled the tank to the max making sure that the little pocket of air at the supply line fitting was gone and capped it.
    Ive ran it enough to know its working correctly but it does bother me I never got it to spew out of the top when cracking the lip.
    If the check valve is bad is this the one I need to swap .21-878105 1 - Check Valve
    Last edited by styler; 03-07-2023 at 07:17 PM.

6. Member
    yep thats it screws into block below starter , if tank stays full on engine valve may not be bad , engine tank fills very slow when running , id wait and see if level drops at engine tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yep thats it screws into block below starter , if tank stays full on engine valve may not be bad , engine tank fills very slow when running , id wait and see if level drops at engine tank
    Ok that's what I'll do thanks Joe.

8. Member
    yes sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12