Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing oil tank

I want to replace the on engine oil tank . Other than bleeding the air as described in the frequently asked section . anything else i need to do?

2004 optimax 150 OT862351
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    I guess what I'm asking is do I fill the tank 1/2 or full first before cranking it on muffs and partially opening the lid or do it just let the system fill it from empty? i saw a guy on youtube use compressed air at the remote tank to push oil up but I'm not sure I like that method.

3. Member
    I believe that on an Optimax motor you will have to have a oil purge sequence done by computer to insure all air is out of the oil system if you remove the tank. The one in the faq section is more for if the tank gets low but not removed and for carbed and EFI motors. The purge sequence has to be done by computer (dealer) for it to properly purge all the air.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I believe that on an Optimax motor you will have to have a oil purge sequence done by computer to insure all air is out of the oil system if you remove the tank. The one in the faq section is more for if the tank gets low but not removed and for carbed and EFI motors. The purge sequence has to be done by computer (dealer) for it to properly purge all the air.
    Well dang I hope your wrong about this. Nearest dealer that will work on Optis is almost 2 hours away and i have to set an appointment and itll not be cheap. starting to really not like these engines. to many things the layman cannot work on.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I see 10 Mercury dealers within 45 miles of Blairsville... one that may be as little as 5 miles from you.

I would definitely recommend an oil pump prime sequence: Simply not worth risking your powerhead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I see 10 Mercury dealers within 45 miles of Blairsville... one that may be as little as 5 miles from you.

I would definitely recommend an oil pump prime sequence: Simply not worth risking your powerhead.
    Thanks thats what I'll do then .. Yes theres some dealer close but they wont touch the opti .. most says its to old. I ordered a tank at the tune of about $250 was hoping to do this my self . Glad I asked first

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you want to do your own repairs/maintenance, perhaps consider going in with a couple friends for a Rinda-Diacom Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    If you want to do your own repairs/maintenance, perhaps consider going in with a couple friends for a Rinda-Diacom Diagnostic System.
    Thats a good option .. thanks I found a guy who works at a marina and does side work . hes going to come to me and get it done whne we can find a day that works for both of us.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Computer:

Gear Shift:

10. Member
    Computer:

Gear Shift:
    yes sir he has a computer with the diagnostics. dont know what you mean by gearshift. He said something about putting it in break in mode and then going through a prime sequence. that sound right?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    yes sir he has a computer with the diagnostics. dont know what you mean by gearshift. He said something about putting it in break in mode and then going through a prime sequence. that sound right?
    That’s exactly what he is saying to. Putting in breakin mode is not recommended, it causes double the oil usage and maybe some other settings that are not best for a normal operating motor. Will likely foul your spark plugs. Find a dealer who can do it, shouldn’t take that long for them to maybe fit you in.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    ^+1^

Can be put in break in mode with shifter which is why the thumbs down. Makes me question whether the computer he has is really set up for Mercury engines, if it was, he could select an oil pump prime sequence without putting engine in break in.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    ^+1^

Can be put in break in mode with shifter which is why the thumbs down. Makes me question whether the computer he has is really set up for Mercury engines, if it was, he could select an oil pump prime sequence without putting engine in break in.
    Thanks for this info . I'll pick his brain on this before he comes over maybe ill go another route if that's his method.

14. Member
    Well my guy who was supposed to show today did not and he isn't answering his phone. Back to square one. Yall would not believe the different advice I've gotten from dealers and mechanics I've called.

15. Member
    Im looking at this kit Don. Diacom 94128 Kit
    Is this what I need? They also have the scan tool about $30 less . Would you say use the scan tool of go on and get the laptop based software?

16. Member
    That's the one, laptop seems to be the preferred choice.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Laptop version, hands-down. Much easier to work when you can view all data (rather than a 4-line screen).

18. Member
    Thanks guys. Now I gotta talk myself into spending $600 so I can replace my oil tank.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    But think of all the other things you'll be able to do... you'll have all kinds of new friends that can chip in a few bucks each time you hook up to their engine, too.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Thanks guys. Now I gotta talk myself into spending $600 so I can replace my oil tank.
    Primary reason I don't have it.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast