Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Turned sleeve, "surging", where have I heard that before?

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...hlight=surging
    I read through your linked post, and it appears we went through the same process in getting to this diagnosis. The more I research this problem, the more I come to the conclusion that its not as uncommon as one may think, but still not common enough to be on the front of ones mind when dealing with this set of symptoms. I guess a simple drop cylinder test either with a ddt or manually unplugging coils could have identified an issue with a specific cylinder and possibly lead us to this diagnosis earlier? Tough to say. Glad mercury was able to help you in your situation. After speaking with Mr. Chris from Chris Carsons, the fix is not all that bad for the wallet. I was expecting much worse.

2. Member
    I performed ALL the scan tool testing available, including the tests that you just mentioned, and none of them showed any positive results, for my situation. I also believe that sleeve rotation was a big problem that Mercury could have been eliminated by a design feature like key locking the sleeve into the correct position.

Glad you found your problem. The repaired motor is going to perform excellent.

Wonder if it would be wise to pin ALL the sleeves while it was torn down to repair the one that turned....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    yes it would +1 ^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If I was pulling one down that had this problem, I'd be locking them all down (unless they were all replaced- or I could identify that the one rotated had been replaced and not properly machined).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If I was pulling one down that had this problem, I'd be locking them all down (unless they were all replaced- or I could identify that the one rotated had been replaced and not properly machined).
    Exactly!! I can't see a machine shop not doing it anyway unless told not to do so by the owner.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    Exactly!! I can't see a machine shop not doing it anyway unless told not to do so by the owner.
    So,lets revisit the rotated sleeve,and decide why in fact it rotated.Two strongest possibilities...
    1,Insufficient interference from the factory allowing rotation when the motor got a little hotter than usual...or
    2,More severe overheat localized in that cylinder...cooling or lean condition problem rapidly spiking the heat quickly.
    In either case I feel the sleeve rotation may have saved the cylinder from a piston seizure by reducing power output and resultant heat buildup in the piston,which would have been unable to give up adequate heat due to the lost sleeve interference.
    Pinning the sleeve,while preventing rotation,will not address the root cause of the rotation...overheat or lack of interference.If the motor continues to run with this loose sleeve in place,pinned or not, soon carbon from the exhaust will build up between the sleeve and register and cause a thermal insulator area resulting in piston scoring or seizure.We see this regularly in head gasketed motors where interference is lost but the gaskets fire ring pressure on top of the sleeve prevents rotation.
    As I noted earlier,I feel this is a common reason for same cylinder failure after repairs,and often blamed on electrical or fuel trouble.This is a well hidden issue,and can only be seen by removing the sleeve,but in this shop if it's badly scored it gets an oversize installed,good insurance.
    A quick count says I have 73 oversized sleeves in the machine room,Chris

8. Member
    Turned sleeve, "surging", where have I heard that before?

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...hlight=surging
    i got 2 bald spots from that d--n engine i didnt have before
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    No doubt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I performed ALL the scan tool testing available, including the tests that you just mentioned, and none of them showed any positive results, for my situation. I also believe that sleeve rotation was a big problem that Mercury could have been eliminated by a design feature like key locking the sleeve into the correct position.

Glad you found your problem. The repaired motor is going to perform excellent.
    I cannot wait to get the block back from Chris and see what it can do once it get it put back together. The motor sits on a phoenix 920 pro xp and since this problem started it has been pretty frustrating getting beat to my spots by rangers, trackers, and all the other boats I was previously leaving in my wake .

11. Member
    propped right ,set up right upper 70s

Chris Carson would be my choice. He has my block as we speak.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    "WE" certainly had a rash of bad luck on those motors for sure. I guess "we" are now battle tested.

14. Member
    A little update for anyone following. I received the block back from Chris a few weeks ago, along with new pistons, rings, and some other misc parts. The block looks great and the work is second to none. Highly recommend Chris to anybody. Now to get this thing back together and make this bird fly again! Thanks again Chris and everybody that helped in any way.

15. Member
    great, get her going
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12