water temperature concerns

Optimax 150 serial# 1B434225

For some reason, the water temperature in my Optimax seems to drop rapidly as soon as I go faster than idle speed.
    Here are some numbers I captured today.

engine speed water pressure (lbs) engine temperature
    idle 3.9 145
    1000 7.1 134
    1800 8.4 99

I think the thermostats open at 143 so the idle temperature is about right (correct me if I'm wrong).
    What concerns me is the way the temperature drops as the RPM increases.
    I have read that the engine needs to be above 120 to be safe to run at speed.
    I replaced the water pump about 53 hrs ago. Does this sound like a thermostat or a poppet valve problem?
    The engine is running fine and I don't have any alarms or codes stored.
    Air temperature was about 68 today and the water temperature was about 60 degrees.
    The readings were retrieved via the Vesselview mobile app.
    Last edited by jay's snake; 01-09-2023 at 10:11 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very simple. Working AS DESIGNED.

Thermostats control water flow AT IDLE. As soon as WP reaches approximately 6 psi, the poppet valve begins to open and permits a straight-through flow of water to keep the engine cool. The faster you run the cooler it gets (especially in cold water temps).

Return to idle and temps should stabilize within 10 degrees of thermostatic temp.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    That's sure good to hear!
    After I made the posting, I found all the other threads and read through them all and started to realize that mine is working normally.
    It still seems to me that the temperature could be more controlled above idle like a car is. I would think that the engine would be happier with more consistent temperature control.
    Anyway, thanks for confirming that mine is normal. I've got plenty of other things around here to fix!

4. Member
    The temp is not the motor temp but the water temp, the motor components are warmer than the water temp. But also realize cars don’t stay at higher rpms like an outboard. Your outboard, when on plane will stay above 3500 rpms and upto 6000 rpms, and that’s its normal operating range where a car rarely sees more than 3000 rpms except for short durations of acceleration. Plus cars don’t use raw water to cool off, they have a closed system where as it would be difficult to regulate water temps at higher rpms on an outboard like a car because it would be difficult to fit a radiator.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    ^^+1^^

Big difference between an open vs closed cooling system.

The 120deg reference is minimum engine temp prior to accelerating after initial start. Fail to heed that and you risk a cold seize event on cyl #6.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    ^^^^^^+2
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help!!