6 Month / 30 Hour Review 2022 Caymas CX20 Pro

Thought I would give me honest opinions on my CX20Pro.

A lil backstory on myself...I came out of a 2007 188VX Ranger boat that I bought brand new in 07. I've also had a Champion bass boat and a 17.5 Starcraft alum bass boat in my past. I visited the BassCat factory in Oct of 21 and was all in on a Caracal until I sat down with the dealer and it came out to 105k OTD. I had already decided that I liked a lot of things about the Caymas boats and when I sat down with the dealer for Caymas and the price was 88k OTD it was a no brainer for me. To be fair the Caracal was priced with Power Poles and I did not get Poles with the Caymas, but did get 25 more horsepower and a slightly longer boat(20'4 to 19'8) both boats having a 96 inch beam.

First, lets start with the PROS of my Caymas.

The Ride: Can not, repeat CAN NOT say enough good things about the ride. This boat eats 2 and 3 foot waves, smoothly, without coming close to spearing. My wife can not believe the difference in ride quality versus the Ranger ( 20 foot Caymas versus 18'8 foot Ranger, I know, I know) but Holy Balls it runs good. I had to call all my buddies and apoligize to them that for 15 years I submitted them to the Ranger ride. Hole shot with the 250 Merc is maybe 2 seconds with way too much gear and 2 people. There is a issue with it listing to the starboard side during hole shot that I will cover in the CONS of my Caymas.

The Layout: What first caught my eye on Caymas boats was the layout. I love everything about it, except maybe the middle huge front deck compartment....I do like the 5 compartments on the front deck of the Caracal better in theory. Love no carpet in the compartments, love the striker plates in the compartments. The back deck compartments are deep, I mean huge. The bilge area is crazy clean, looks sharp and neat. I'm not a net guy, but my wife loves the net holder. The dual console comes out easy and just as important goes back in and tightens down, no slop or movement out of it. It just seems like a well thought out boat.

Fishability / Stable Platform: This boat fishes very nice. Stable boat even with 4 people in it. Do not notice if the back angler is moving around at all. Tons of storage. I have every lure known to mankind in the front middle compartment. Typically 16 rod/reel combos in starboard compartment, and 6 to 8 in the port compartment. Behind the drivers seat the compartment is half full, the other back deck compartment is empty. Seats, carpet, instruments are comfortable and stylish.

The CONS...

Boat List Port Side On Takeoff: Makes no sense, as I have a 36volt Impulse Lithium on port side. If I am aggressive with trim as I'm coming out of hole it is barely noticable. If I start with trim at 2.5 it hardly lists at all, just adds 2 seconds or so to the holeshot. Is this a deal breaker?? No. But it is aggravating. I live in Tucson AZ, but will be residing on Bull Shoals in Arkansas soon. There I will try removing weight and maybe moving weight around to see if I can eliminate list. To be clear, if I never use trim, boat will run 30mph listing to port side until you trim up. Never had any other boat do that.

Trailer: Caymas stickers coming off. Boat is hardest I've ever had to load....it has a very very small sweet spot. You back in to far, and nose of boat comes in under bow roller, not deep enough and you have to winch it on. The sweet spot is seriously like 6 inches. I've never had a boat be this picky. On my CX20Pro it came with UPGRADED winch. Ha! Again Ha. I replaced it with a Fulton F2 winch and that helped a lot. I've figured out what works for me and its ok, but still a lil aggrevating.

Finish: Disclosure, I'm OCD. The fiberglass work in my opinion is not what it should be. There are flaws in the finish (granted, you have to be close and know what you are looking for) but they are there. When picking up the boat, I noticed a 4 to 5 inch spider crack in the yellow gelcoat, that has grown to 9 to 10 inches. The dealer was supposed to have made notes about it at the time. Don't know if its something that I will ever really complain about or bring up with Caymas, but at 6 months and only 30 hours on motor it shouldnt be this way.

Fuel Guage: DOES NOT WORK. I had Mercury Vessel View installed or I would have no idea how much fuel is in boat.

Overall. I give this boat a 8.75 out of 10. Remember, I am OCD, little things bother me. Luckily its mostly little things that I consider "problems" with this boat. I keep boats 10 years +, I do not foresee any reason why this boat will not last that long. I will reach out to trailer manufacture about new Caymas stickers. Once I get to Bull Shoals I will take time to figure how to do away with list.

Caymas CX20 Pro
    250 Mercury 4 stroke
    9 inch HDS Live at bow
    9 inch HDS Live at console
    Lowrance Ghost troller
    69 mph at 5800 rpms and then it walks
    36 volt Impulse Lithium with Stealth charger..shout out to Bill at Impulse Lithium.
    Last edited by DWS; 01-11-2023 at 09:24 PM.

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member

5. Member

Very cool color scheme. Hope you get it the way you want it.

7. Member

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Very cool color scheme. Hope you get it the way you want it.
    Thank you. I have a few knucklehead friends who have jokes about a guy with yellow accented boat. Its mostly just jealousy though( I hope they see this)

9. Member
    ...double post
    Last edited by DWS; 01-09-2023 at 04:04 PM.

10. Member
    Good honest review, have had my new Caymas CX21 for 9 months, it does list a little but if I trim it just a bump or two it is hardly noticeable, gas gauge does not work, I have vessel view being hooked up right now so hopefully that problem goes away, other than that it is one bad are boat !

11. Member
    Good review. The trailer is a finicky, but minor, annoyance. I have found a few very small gel coat flaws, but nothing like the waves I have seen in Ranger sides. The fuel gauge problem is nearly Caymas universal, but Vessel View Mobile works for me.

Gas gauge does not work I agree. Shouldn't have to but easy and cheap to install one. My boat loads and unloads easy, I must have lucked out in that department.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

13. Member
    I am curious what options you had for the Caracal that it brought it to 105k

14. Member
    Gas gauge is still workin on mine, (if it quits then no biggie. The gas gauges didn’t work on any of my past boats). It doesn’t lean a bit to neither side and it loads great. I’m lovin this boat!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomwecman View Post
    I am curious what options you had for the Caracal that it brought it to 105k
    It was loaded, no doubt. But that quote was with a 9 inch Lowrance at bow and console and a Ghost troller same as my Caymas.

16. Member

17. Member
    I had all of the issues listed in my 2022 CX-19. Very aggravating and I Sold it (I’m not as patient as the OP).

18. Member
    Crazy DWS I just got a 23 Caracal with poles 2 12” helix and mega 360 with a couple of other options for 81,500

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomwecman View Post
    Crazy DWS I just got a 23 Caracal with poles 2 12” helix and mega 360 with a couple of other options for 81,500
    When I was at Basscat factory I tried to get them to sell me direct...they were firm that I needed to go thru a dealer. Arizona has one dealer and that was the quote. Pretty sure I could have got it down from 105k but truthfully the 105k quote was such a kick in the stomach that we left there and transitioned to the Caymas pretty quickly. The dealer stated that the Caracal SP package was not available at that time (Jan of 2022) and they claimed to not know the price of the 2023 Caracal SP package.

Water under the bridge. I do like my Caymas and pretty much everything I posted in my review I knew was prolly gonna affect my new Caymas even before I bought it. I've been around bass boats for 35 years, every one has their own set of issues ( ask me about my Ranger trailer with Tie Down parts on it). My biggest worry with Caymas is how long will they be around, and what kind or service will they provide me if I need it. I will say, the factory tour was awesome at Basscat. I do believe Basscat makes the best boats and I do think they stand behind their boats.

I looked at the Basscat Bobcat before I purchased my CX18ss. Didn’t like the cockpit, not much room at all. The Caymas has much more room. I read about the Caymas issues before I purchased mine. I even installed vessel view before I took my first ride. I have not seen any of the issues listed. In fact, I couldn’t believe how easily the boat loaded on the trailer and that my fuel gauge worked.