Yamaha SHO 200 powerhead cost

Alright, I have to admit after seeing so many posts on Facebook of blown SHO's...I've been researching the #'s on powerheads. I am considering going back to a 2 stroke.

From what I can find, a new power head is around $10k plus $4k for install.
    A remanufactured powerhead is around $4,500 and assuming $4k for install as well. So best case scenario you are looking at $9,000 for a powerhead if it pops?
    Last edited by Hoosier Bass; 01-09-2023 at 11:59 AM.
    2000 Ranger 518vx
    2015 200 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    When I got my SHO (a 2010 model - first year) in 2016 all the posts about blown powerheads made me very nervous especially when my warranty expired. My engine like most all of the early years had the factory power head replacement. I've taken good care of it and knock on wood it has taken good care of me. 2 stroke motors (all brands) can also turn into grenades so my feeling is I like my SHO, I like the 4 stroke torque and sound. The key is how you take care of the engine and that isn't just in regular filter and oil changes which are a must. I'm also taking about how you operate it. Guys who jump in, start it up and hammer down seem to have the most problems. I'm a big believer in ethanol free gas, Ring Free plus and Lucus in every tank, and letting it warm up and cool down. My style is I like to run around 50 to 55 (4000 - 4500 rpm aproximately) for a fast cruise if the conditions allow. That's fast enough for me. About every third or fourth trip I will open it up and run it for a few minutes over 5000 on up to WOT which for my set up is around 5850. I only run it over 2500 rpm if the engine is warmed up. When I get to my spot after any run I stop a ways off and go to neutral / idle and let the boat coast to my spot as I get ready to hit the front deck. After a short time I shut the engine down. My engine may blow up the very next time I use it but so could any two stroke I might purchase and two stroke technology is stagnant and the parts will get more expensive. Just my thinking. Good luck, I hope whatever you run lasts for years and years!

3. Member
    What choochoo stated above is 100% correct. The worst thing you can do with an SHO outboard (or any outboard for that matter) is treat it like your favorite pro uses their boat on YouTube. Take the time to warm it up and cool it down when you come off plane. There is a reason why so many SHO engines on bass boats fail early and Yamaha 4.2L offshore engines with identical powerheads usually last for THOUSANDS of hours.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

4. Member
    +1 on what Choochoo posted.

5. Member
    Appreciate the responses. Yep, I do take good care of the motor, warm it up, don't run it WOT, and use the proper additives.
    2000 Ranger 518vx
    2015 200 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    A reman SHO 4 stroke for $4500, wow where? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.