Twin 2016 Optimax 250hp (non xs) port engine startup/idle issue.

2B124142 port cxl - trouble engine

2B231519 starboard xl

Have a strange issue with my port engine, 2016 Optimax 250. During startup the engine starts with some violent shaking for a few seconds, shakes for a bit, then smooths out slightly. no longer hitting wot, cruise rpm sound fine but the idle has a miss for sure. Starboard engine sounds very clean on startup and just generally sounds better than port.

Here is a list of items I have replaced as part of routine PM, but still no change
    Injectors flowed and cleaned at duck river marine.
    New plug wires

Fuel/Air in range per gauge testing - within 10PSI of each other
    Tracker valve replaced due to finding fuel in air rail, resolved fuel in air rail issue, but rough start/shaking still persistent.
    New plugs after tracker valve replacement

Reeds visually inspected - black carbon fiber.
    Coils swapped from starboard engine to verify
    Compression within 3psi for all 6 cyl.
    20210727_232304018_iOS.jpg

Any help on tracking down the culprit would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by barclayrl; 01-10-2023 at 07:41 PM.

KV spark test required
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    fuel psi bleed off test at key off / inspect and or replace pulse pump diaphram kit
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    What KV should the optimax coils output? just 30 or should 40 be tested as well?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    fuel psi bleed off test at key off / inspect and or replace pulse pump diaphram kit
    Do you have link to this procedure? If you mean the fuel rails, the PSI stays for a long time after shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by barclayrl View Post
    What KV should the optimax coils output? just 30 or should 40 be tested as well?
    .625 gap over 40 kv
    You will need a dual glycerin filled gauge set 150 psi, read air and fuel pressures running and when shut off 5,10 & 15 seconds after shutdown, report back with results
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-10-2023 at 02:41 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely get us some accurate air/fuel readings at the 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown. You can restart for each of these time periods.

Also look for other sources of unmetered fuel or oil getting into engine (overfilled oil tank, leaking diaphragms in pulse fuel pump, fuel leaks inside cowling, water in fuel sensor at IVST leaking, etc).

Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Definitely get us some accurate air/fuel readings at the 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown. You can restart for each of these time periods.

Also look for other sources of unmetered fuel or oil getting into engine (overfilled oil tank, leaking diaphragms in pulse fuel pump, fuel leaks inside cowling, water in fuel sensor at IVST leaking, etc).

Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    I tried to read the rules and it says invalid announcement when I click on it. Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by barclayrl; 01-10-2023 at 07:36 PM.

9. Member
    I have updated the post with correct serial info
    i do notice on this engine that some oil is leaking when tilted. Not sure if source

10. Member
    common place for leaks are oil pump and engine mounted tank cap
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................