Oil injection System Deleted, No warning Alarms Now!? 1998 175 EFI

So, I blew my power head a couple years ago and elected to delete the oil injection system when they did the rebuild. I did this mainly because I was getting an alarm that myself nor two mechanics could resolve all the time. They all thought it was something to do with the oil injection system. I maybe ran the motor 15 hours before putting it up for the winter. Last spring first trip out air temp was in the twenties and the water temp was in the low 40s. I didn't make it a quarter mile before the engine lost power , killed, and wouldn't start. Powerhead out again! The cause was blamed on a phenomenon called "cold water lock up" due to the cylinder numbers that went out. Thankfully they repaired it under warranty so I wasn't out very much other than a whole lot of time last year. Same as the year before, I didn't run a tank of gas through the motor before setting it up for the winter.

Thing is when it blew the second time no alarms went off. My key no longer beeps when I crank the motor either. Are all of my alarms disconnected due to deleting the oil injection system? Can I at least rig up a overheat alarm in case my water intake gets plugged? After what went down the last 2 years I am scared to run my boat. How can I troubleshoot this?
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

2. Member
    your overheat alarm should stiil work ,cold seize is cause when an engine runs too cold you have no warning for low temp on that engine you need a way to monitor the engine temp so you know if your engine is up to operating temperature , make sure that your thermostats are working and engine reaches 143 degrees and they cycle especially in water below 60 degrees good luck JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Is there a way to test the overheat alarm to make sure it is working?

4. Member
    yes jump terminal junction to grnd from overheat sensor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated, no warning horn test-beep if oil injection has been deleted.

I believe what you were trying to describe was COLD SEIZURE. This occurs because the engine was not properly warmed up before accelerating, either due to an anxious or happy foot, OR a thermostat hanging open.

Need to determine which was the case, and correct it, or you WILL repeat history. Gosh- did I just say my high school history teacher was RIGHT?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    As stated, no warning horn test-beep if oil injection has been deleted.

I believe what you were trying to describe was COLD SEIZURE. This occurs because the engine was not properly warmed up before accelerating, either due to an anxious or happy foot, OR a thermostat hanging open.

Need to determine which was the case, and correct it, or you WILL repeat history. Gosh- did I just say my high school history teacher was RIGHT?
    History is very important to me. That is why I am scared, LOL. I will check on the thermostats. They were supposed to have changed the them with the latest rebuild. When I launch I always leave the motor running while I am parking my truck. There is also a decent idle to the boat lane from the ramp when it had cold seizure. I would have to imagine the engine was plenty warm, but maybe not. My mechanic and the mechanic that rebuilds the engines have never seen this happen before. I will also do a horn test. Thanks!

8. Member
    make sure they are 143 stats i like oem parts too

9. Member
    Was anything done to the fuel system when it was rebuilt either time? I ask because we assume the builder is right about the cold seizure but such diagnoses seems to be part science and part art, he could be wrong. If my motor blew twice in succession I would want to verify all critical systems are good, and fuel system would be my first check. I would personally send my injectors off for cleaning and testing if they haven’t been serviced yet.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Piston look like this one: Note missing pin
    Fuel injector was low flow by 15%
    Direct injector was trash, 50% flow, 1/2 pattern and off center, could have been result of failure not cause
    Looks like cold sieze, think lean run also contributed to this
    Lack of maintance was root cause

20230110_150609.jpg20230110_150528.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    lack can bite you , had a guy tell me yesterday it had been 5 years since his engine had water pump replaced , i asked why said he was never told other wise , i asked if he ever lost a powerhead , reply ;;;;; several, duhhhhhhh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    lack can bite you , had a guy tell me yesterday it had been 5 years since his engine had water pump replaced , i asked why said he was never told other wise , i asked if he ever lost a powerhead , reply ;;;;; several, duhhhhhhh
    Dang, do people not read or ask what normal maintenance is supposed to
    be done?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Was anything done to the fuel system when it was rebuilt either time? I ask because we assume the builder is right about the cold seizure but such diagnoses seems to be part science and part art, he could be wrong. If my motor blew twice in succession I would want to verify all critical systems are good, and fuel system would be my first check. I would personally send my injectors off for cleaning and testing if they haven’t been serviced yet.
    Yes, all of that has been gone through. The injectors were cleaned or replaced. That was the cause of the first dead head. Everything is supposed to be like new now. My original powerhead lasted 11 years. I try to to take the best care I can of my motor. Having two go out on me like this has me spooked. I replace my water pump and lower unit oil every year.

If it was in fact like new, not very likely to fail. This would lead me to question the quality of work performed
    Thank You Leon Pugh