Thread: Warning Beeps

Warning Beeps

I have a 99 Mercury 200 EFI 0G803451 on my 99 Ranger R93. Today I took the boat out. It was only the 2nd time I had it out since I bought. I ran it on plain for about 20 minutes and it was running good. I notice one short "beep" and then went away about 5 minutes later I got several beeps and it went away, then a few minutes later they cam back. I shut it down and look at what I knew to look at (oil levels & good water pressure through my tell tale) I cranked in back up and started running and then the beeps where a continuous intermittent beep ( beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, etc). I shut it down and trolled back to ramp with my trolling motor.

Glancing through the owners manual, I would think it has something to do with the oil injection system. When I got back to garage, the oil reserve tank on motor was maybe 1/4" to 1/2" low. my remote tank was 2/3 full. I didn't check for for water in my filter yet. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I should start looking & testing.

Also quick question. when I first engage my key on I get the audible alarm. Does that mean your oil system is working or does it just mean that it is communicating with it.

While I'm at it, what all alarms (beeps) will it give me and what do they mean? Thanks

2. Member
    beep at key on means warning system is working to tell you if theres a problem , intermittent can be low oil intank on engine under cowling , or water in fuel also should have red led lit on front of ecu at key on solid tone is overheat , pull cowl and look at level in tank on engine must be full no air
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Good luck, I elected to delete my oil injection system after fighting the beeping for years. Two separate mechanics and every damn part in the oil system changed and still no luck.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    pull cowl and look at level in tank on engine must be full no air
    +1!

See this FAQ topic for process to eliminate air in reserve tank (there's a LOT other useful info in the FAQ as well) - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't forget to check the fuel filter for WATER. Water in fuel will generate the same signal... and you can replace every single oil injection component and it will still "beep" if there is water in the filter!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don't forget to check the fuel filter for WATER. Water in fuel will generate the same signal... and you can replace every single oil injection component and it will still "beep" if there is water in the filter!

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I haven't look inside the filter for water , but I didn't have a red light on when I turn the key on.

Also, I was wondering if this might have had anything to do with the big freeze we had down in Texas . Lol. It was well below freezing for over 40hrs. I lowered my engine beforehand hoping to get all the water out of the system. I keep it in a garage, but I also wrapped the motor in a few blankets

7. Member
    doubtful freeze cause problem, check engine tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Ok. No water in filter but definitely looks like low oil in motor tank.
    One additional question, when I removed filter, i noticed there was no oil mixed with the gas. I assuming it is mixed after the gas goes through the filter. On my old boat, it was premixed fuel, so my filter had oil & gas.

Should there be oil mixed with gas in the filter? Thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mixing occurs in the VST chamber, so the filter will not appear to have oil in it (unless premix is being used).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor