19 ranger rt188 live well pump and valve

Bought the boat new and it has the three position live well. The valve has never worked due to the cable holder on the valve size is stripped and wont tighten down allowing the cable sheath to slide instead of pulling the inside cable. Question 1: what size barbs do I need on a replacement valve? They may be standard

second problem is I assume I broke the impeller on my live well pump trying to force water down the drain hole due to it being clogged. The motor now runs at super high rpm’s not trying to pump. Question 2: what is a good replacement pump? And where is it? I hope I do not have to remove the gas tank

any help would be so appreciated. I would like to have the parts ready before starting tearing into this. Thank you
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red
    2019 Mercury 115 ProXS 4s CT

2. Member
    Sorry for the questions. But does this boat only have 1 pump for both pumps out and aeration ?
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

Is the broken part in the selector located at the helm? If so you can buy replace the selector rather inexpensively.
    There is only one pump, it is under the battery charger.
    I attached a PDF document that shows all the components and explains how they work together. I created this for a guy that wanted to update an early model to recirculation so much of the detail may not be Germaine but I think you will find it helpful.
    Btw: you can remove the pump to view the impeller without disturbing the plumbing. There is an illustration in the PDF that shows this.

Attached Files Attached Files

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Exactly the information I needed. Thank you. I assume this is a rule 800 pump. So I can just buy the cartridge.

the malfunctioning part of the valving system is on the valve itself, not the helm switch. The one little screw that tightens over the cable to keep the outside from moving is stripped. The entire valve is cheap. So that’s one good thing. Looks like I will have to remove batteries and possibly the tray plate to get enough room to replace that valve.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

Quote Originally Posted by britej View Post
    Exactly the information I needed. Thank you. I assume this is a rule 800 pump. So I can just buy the cartridge.

the malfunctioning part of the valving system is on the valve itself, not the helm switch. The one little screw that tightens over the cable to keep the outside from moving is stripped. The entire valve is cheap. So that’s one good thing. Looks like I will have to remove batteries and possibly the tray plate to get enough room to replace that valve.
    Dang, that’s the most difficult part to get to. That looks like a sheet metal screw, any chance you can get a larger screw to self thread into the hole so you don’t have to remove the valve?

6. Member
    Thought about that. But that center brace is very close to the screw. I have a Z type screw driver that I tried tightening the screw with and I had to pry the valve a bit to even get it in there. Very tight in there. I contorted and bent in ways I haven’t in years trying to fix it. That’s a good idea though. I may revisit that. If I can’t, I will just start pulling things apart. As bad as I don’t want to.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

Man, I hate this. I reviewed the pics again and can’t figure out a way to make it easier. Even having enough slack in the hoses to remove the valve will be a challenge.
    Hopefully someone that has done this will weigh in with a tip.
    Good Luck

8. Member
    i hope so too. thank you for your help.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

9. Member
    Finally had a chance to do this. Pain in the rear, had to remove all three batteries, the battery trays and the plate that the trays attach to. Not a hard job, just a lot of removing stuff. I changed out the valve and it works great, my new pump cartridge was not in yet. I looked at the original one and it looked fine, sounded fine, and I had drank an energy drink so i decided to put it all back together with the original pump and just use the new one as a spare. Mistake, it works, but very low pressure coming out of the top pump in nozzle. I am not sure I can change the cartridge without taking that battery mounting plate back off, it will be tight, but I hope to work on that this weekend.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

10. Member
    It was indeed a plugged hose. Compressed air and all works like it should. Should’ve tried that before I bought a new cartridge
    Last edited by britej; 01-22-2023 at 02:21 PM.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red

Thanks for posting the results and sharing your experience. This is good information for someone with a similar problem.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 01-25-2023 at 07:48 AM.