Switching from HB to Lowrance...need help

I already have a Lowrance Elite 9 with Active Target to go along with my old Humminbird electronics (I had a 112 Ultrex, 2 Helix's and the hub so the helix's and ultrex can talk to each other).

I would like to additionally get:

- lowrance ghost 52 trolling motor
    - 2 12 HDS Lives (one for the bow and one for the console to make it ghost, active target, 1 elite 9, 2 HDS Live 12s)

What else do I need just so I can have the ghost, 2 HDS lives and the Elite with Active Target to all work / talk together?

I've read the boat in a box kit package of:

$6898 – Two (2) Lowrance HDS-12 Live Units – No Transducer ($3349 each)
    $329 – Lowrance Active Imaging 3-in-1 Transducer
    $280 – Point-1 GPS Antenna w/ Heading Sensor
    $111 – Lowrance LR-1 HDS Live Wireless Remote Control
    $77 – NMEA 2000 Starter Kit
    $77 – Ethernet Cable
    $22– Lowrance NMEA 2000 Network T-Connector

do I need anything else besides what is listed in the boat-in-a-box above? I'm guessing I do, but can't find this info after researching for an hour plus. Thank you for your help!

2. Member
    HDS Live on console
    Ethernet to Live on bow
    Live on bow Ethernet to Elite FS
    Active Target in rod locker Ethernet to CONSOLE Live
    This is the ONLY way it will work if you want all units to communicate. You don’t have enough ports at the bow to make 4 Ethernet connections. No worries, everything will work this way

In addition to the NMEA starter kit you will need two more NMEA T connectors and 2 two NMEA drop cables. This is so all units can utilize the Point 1 and control the Ghost.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    For the low $100 difference between an HDS Live 9 and Elite FS go with another HDS Live you will save a lot of hassle and performance frustration down the road. When you get used to the HDS Live screen and performance you will not be happy with the screen and performance of the Elite especially for a $100 difference. To clarify are you wanting the HDS Live Remote control or the Ghost Remote control?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    For the low $100 difference between an HDS Live 9 and Elite FS go with another HDS Live you will save a lot of hassle and performance frustration down the road. When you get used to the HDS Live screen and performance you will not be happy with the screen and performance of the Elite especially for a $100 difference. To clarify are you wanting the HDS Live Remote control or the Ghost Remote control?
    I've already bought and used the elite 9 for active target for a season. I just want all the lowrance products to talk to each other. I do not NEED the remote control (or do I?). I've used the Ultrex remote control ONLY when my stupid steering sensor board in the ultrex pedal crapped out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    HDS Live on console
    Ethernet to Live on bow
    This is the ONLY way it will work if you want all units to communicate. You don’t have enough ports at the bow to make 4 Ethernet connections. No worries, everything will work this way

In addition to the NMEA starter kit you will need two more NMEA T connectors and 2 two NMEA drop cables. This is so all units can utilize the Point 1 and control the Ghost.

NoCAL
    This is exactly the info. I need. Thank you! So, no port hub or box in the rod locker besides my active target already installed?

6. Member
    Not if you do it like I described. The remote you have listed is for the HDS unit. I don’t find them very useful. The Ghost remote is a $99 add on. It works but to be honest, I rarely use it either. I do control the Ghost from my console unit while eating lunch and such.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    Not if you do it like I described. The remote you have listed is for the HDS unit. I don’t find them very useful. The Ghost remote is a $99 add on. It works but to be honest, I rarely use it either. I do control the Ghost from my console unit while eating lunch and such.

NoCAL
    thank you very much

Call us tomorrow!! We have hds12 live units for $1899 each and can help you with exactly what you need for the rest of your set up!! Plus their are big rebates you can qualify for depending on when you purchase your ghost trollingmotor!!!

RUSSELL MARINE PRODUCTS: 316-313-4113

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Call us tomorrow!! We have hds12 live units for $1899 each and can help you with exactly what you need for the rest of your set up!! Plus their are big rebates you can qualify for depending on when you purchase your ghost trollingmotor!!!

RUSSELL MARINE PRODUCTS: 316-313-4113
    Is it easier over the phone or via your website?

10. Member
    HDS Live on console
    Ethernet to Live on bow

NoCAL
    Last question... you refer to the 2 NMEA 'drop' cables ? I can't find these on a dealer's website - are you referring to a 6 foot ethernet cable or a specific part name (number) that I'm unaware of? Thanks again!

Is it this: Lowrance N2KEXT-2RD 2' NMEA 2000 Cable ??

Last edited by n8cas; 01-10-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added possible part

11. Member
    That's it
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by n8cas View Post
    Is it easier over the phone or via your website?
    Whichever is convenient for you sir.

13. Member
    HDS Live on console
    Ethernet to Live on bow

NoCAL
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I think I'm going to trade in my Elite FS 9 for another HDS Live 12 at the bow (meaning I'll have two 12 HDS lives at the bow - the rest of my setup remains the same and is at the top of this thread). Would this change how I set up my NMEA t-cable network tree? Thank you for your help!

14. Member
    Nothing changes if you don't want to pull cables. You will have an extra Ethernet at the bow but you don't need it as already configured.

NoCAL
    2B112175

15. Member
    Nothing changes if you don't want to pull cables. You will have an extra Ethernet at the bow but you don't need it as already configured.

NoCAL
    THANKS!