Switching to Grease, Which Cap?

I’m going to switch over to grease from Vault hybrid (for convenience of not having to order parts anytime I need to work on my hubs) and am wondering if it is best to use bearing buddies for caps or the EZ lube version with the rubber caps? Does it even really matter?
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

2. Member
    your preference

I prefer the EZ-Lube cap with rubber seal. I have them on my pontoon trailer and like the simplicity and convenience of the design.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    I changed my Vault hubs to Bearing Buddies and use Lucas Red and Tacky grease. I lost a Vault cap and miraculously did not ruin the bearing. Grease will stay on the bearings if one loses a cap, the Vault system the grease turns to liquid under operation and runs out of the bearing. The EZ-lube system is somewhat different. The spindle is drilled and tapped for a zerk fitting and grease is pumped into the spindle to the rear bearing and then travels to the front bearing pushing the old grease out. A really good system. My travel trailer has this. Just installing an EZ-Lube cap on a non EZ-Lube axle could starve the rear bearing of grease. the Bearing Buddy is spring loaded and places pressure on the grease to reach the back bearing.

The vault spindles are drilled and cross drilled just like an EZ-Lube spindle and the spindle is tapped for a Zerk fitting. The filling instructions for a vault hub is to screw in the Zerk fitting, fill the hub with the hybrid grease and then remove the Zerk fitting before replacing the cap. Removing the Zerk fitting allows the hybrid grease to circulate through the spindle drilling when it warms up and thins out.
    To change this to an EZ Lube arrangement all you do is screw in the Zert fitting pump the hub full of regular marine grease and leave it. Replace the cap with an EZ Lube cap and you are done.
    I did this to one of my Ranger trailers after losing a Vault cap and it works well.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    The vault spindles are drilled and cross drilled just like an EZ-Lube spindle and the spindle is tapped for a Zerk fitting. The filling instructions for a vault hub is to screw in the Zerk fitting, fill the hub with the hybrid grease and then remove the Zerk fitting before replacing the cap. Removing the Zerk fitting allows the hybrid grease to circulate through the spindle drilling when it warms up and thins out.
    To change this to an EZ Lube arrangement all you do is screw in the Zert fitting pump the hub full of regular marine grease and leave it. Replace the cap with an EZ Lube cap and you are done.
    I did this to one of my Ranger trailers after losing a Vault cap and it works well.
    That's what I was hoping was the case. I had the EZ lube spindles on an older boat and aside from the cap and removal of the zerk fitting, everything appeared to be the same.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

7. Member
    Whichever way you go I recommend you use a Dexter/ UFP product to ensure proper fitment. Trailer Buddy bearing protectirs fit my hubs…..bearing buddies did not.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

8. Member
    Glad I saw this post before I created one as I had EXACTLY the same question. I put all new races and seals in my hubs and am getting rid of the vault system. I bought a set of bearing buddies but before I installed them I thought it may be easier/cheaper/better to just screw in the zerk fitting in the end of my spindle and pump it full of grease and put a dust cap on instead of bearing buddies.