New motor and controls

I have a 2015 250 ProXS 2 stroke now. If I replaced it with a new 4 stroke would I need to replace the controls? Do new controls typically come with a new motor?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Current Controls will work. The new engine is without controls.

2018 Phoenix 921
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro xs
    Hotrod

3. mikesxpress
    Drew you would order a V8 in a CMS
    (conventional mid section) configuration and utilize your existing controls.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are a few items you will likely need, which can include (but are not necessarily limited to):

-Keyswitch Harness Extension (recommend 10' just so the plug is NOT in the rigging tube... you need approximately 5' minimum in most applications)

-Engine mounting hardware kit

-V-8 design Rigging Tube Kit

-3/8" fuel line (direct from tank to engine) with no primer bulb

-May, or may not need to replace (or modify) hotfoot to achieve 100% Demand linear

-Suitable propeller (it WILL be a lower pitch than you've been running).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So the new motors are fly by wire? Requiring replacing the controls? Unless ordered not? That's what I heard.
    What would be the performance difference with and without?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The ProXS is available in a Mechanical OR a DTS model. BOTH of them are electronic shift and throttle- the difference is that the Mechanical is carry a mechanical input all the way to DEMAND SENSORS inside the cowling, and the DTS has those sensors in the control (as well as a few other items).

Should not be any performance difference as they're essentially identical other than about 5-8 lbs of brackets, sensors and wiring inside the cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The ProXS is available in a Mechanical OR a DTS model. BOTH of them are electronic shift and throttle- the difference is that the Mechanical is carry a mechanical input all the way to DEMAND SENSORS inside the cowling, and the DTS has those sensors in the control (as well as a few other items).

Should not be any performance difference as they're essentially identical other than about 5-8 lbs of brackets, sensors and wiring inside the cowling.
    Thanks. Helpful info.

8. Member
    @ EuropeanAM, I would think that that parts list is the same for the 225?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- though each re-rig needs to be assessed separately due to varying conditions like jackplate, steering, hotfoot (condition and suitability of each).