Thread: Cleaning setup.

Cleaning setup.

What cleaning rod / cleaner etc do you all recommend. I have a rifle I built which I need to break in. Will need to be doing a good bit of cleaning but have yet to purchase a cleaning setup.

What says the pros out there.

2. Member
    Tipton or Dewey for serious work. Otis pull through kit for in between.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Tipton or Dewey for serious work. Otis pull through kit for in between.
    ^ This is all you need to know.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Dewey

5. Member
    I use all Lucas oil products, their outdoor line is fantastic. The gun cleaner/ contact cleaner will clean EVERYTHING it touches. I caution you to use that product on a wood stocked rifle or pistol with wood grips. Modern sport/ combat rifles and pistol, a bore snake is all I use add a short rod with a chamber specific brush for M4, Ar10 rifles and the air compressor with a airgun nozzle on the hose.

Nice bolt gun, wood stock / blued rifle type stuff, Dewey rods like the others have mentioned and lighter cleaners like a CLP or a bore specific solvent.

6. Member
    So what do you all think about breaking in of new barrels? The mfg I used has pretty specific instructions which will be a pain to follow at a range. Ive heard some long time shooters say they dont believe in it. Ive heard some say its a must.

What says you. Me being the rookie im just learning.

7. Member
    I break them in by shooting them and do nothing else. There is too much disagreement amongst folks that are knowledgeable to really reach a conclusion on if any of the break in procedures some follow are beneficial or not. Personally unless you are going to go all out and lap the bore I do not think it really matters.

8. Member
    You said a rifle you built—is this a assembled AR type rifle, or a custom minute-of-flea bolt action rifle? If so, would you really pay $$$$ for a custom rifle just to squeak out a hair more accuracy, and then ignore the recommendation of the barrel manufacturer over the advice you get from rando’s on the internet? (On a FISHING forum?). Ive read most of the opinions on barrel break in. Ive never read anyone saying it’ll HURT. Is bringing a rod and some cleaning supplies to the range and cleaning every few shots for one trip really that big of a PITA?

If you do join the cleaning camp, just be careful with many of the copper solvents, just make sure to get it out of the barrel when done cleaning.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 01-09-2023 at 05:52 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So what do you all think about breaking in of new barrels? The mfg I used has pretty specific instructions which will be a pain to follow at a range. Ive heard some long time shooters say they dont believe in it. Ive heard some say its a must.

What says you. Me being the rookie im just learning.
    I'd follow the manufacturers recommendation especially if it has any kind of guarantee or warranty to perform to a specific level of accuracy.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I break them in by shooting them and do nothing else. There is too much disagreement amongst folks that are knowledgeable to really reach a conclusion on if any of the break in procedures some follow are beneficial or not. Personally unless you are going to go all out and lap the bore I do not think it really matters.
    Lapping the bore is something i would like to do eventually.

11. Member
    What about a solvent trap??

ahhhh sheesh.....did I just put us on a watchlist somewhere?? If so, I'm sorry about that guys. My bad on that.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

12. Member
    I always thought those were dumb. I clean in the garage so if a little gets on the bench or floor no big deal. Just wipe the solvent off the barrel when done.

13. Member
    I use Pro Shot 1 piece stainless cleaning rod with a Pro Shot Bore guide.

Run several Wet patches of Hoppes #9.
    Let Soak a few minutes
    Followed by a Copper brush
    Then some dry patches Followed by a bore mop to get the last bit of grit

Finally a last patch this time with a light film of gun oil for rust protection and that's it.