Sho Lower unit Paint

Well... this low water can get anyone; it got me putting the boat on the trailer, 2019 Yamaha SHO 250, 21 fx skeeter.
    The prop sucked a rock off the bottom and screwed up the skeg. Off for a repair at the local prop shop who has a good rep for this.
    When I got the prop and the LU back, both were fine except the paint on the Lower Unit.
    So, unfortunately, I have to repaint the lower unit. Clearly the guy used the blue as the last coat, it looks like crap.
    Since it looks like a 5-year-old did the paint. I need some advice on sanding it down with what grit paper.
    I know I need to prep it correctly to get good result. There is some, (what I would call pitting) spots on the paint
    where it looks like a piece is missing. It reminds me of someone who painted over a missing chip on the house paint.

Paint, I have the two colors, Blue the first coat then the black second color. Which gives that dark blue almost black color.

I asked at the boat shop and they said it didn't need a primer.

So do I take it to the metal, or just sand it down till I'm past the pit mark?

Thanks for your advice!

2. Member
    I'm still running an old Pro V but I'm thinking the lower unit paint is the same color as your SHO (they look dark blue but Yamaha paint color is black). My lower unit paint is "Yamaha Shiny Black), pnt-91000-SO-NA. The directions on the can says, sand with 400 wet or dry sand paper, prime with Yamaha Primer if bare metal is showing. You'll probably have to order it as I never found a local dealer that carried it
    What I always did when painting my skeg and always matched the lower unit.
    Good luck!

3. mikesxpress
    I don't think any lower units should have paint on them. PIA to keep chasing inevitable scratches. Strip the paint off and buff. I've done that on my last 3 engines.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I don't think any lower units should have paint on them. PIA to keep chasing inevitable scratches. Strip the paint off and buff. I've done that on my last 3 engines.

That awesome, makes me kinda want to do the same!