new ranger rt198p trolling motor cause interference?

ok guys I bought a 2022 ranger rt198p in November. I'm getting ready to run 10 gauge wire up to the bow. planning on running 2 helix 12s with mega live. will be adding a 4th battery and wire it in parallel to my cranking battery. I have heard trolling wires next to wire for fishfinders can cause interference. I have taken off the recessed foot pedal and side panel by console. there is a empty rubber conduit running up to the bow. it looks like it's close to the trolling motor wires but not right next to them. but I can't see all the way through under the deck. any thoughts on this from you guys with this boat? thanks

2. Member
    It is my opinion that all you can do is try it and see.
    I haven’t found the boat that allows me to run wires exactly as I would like yet .
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

3. Member
    I wouldn't wire a 2nd battery in parallel with your cranking battery. According to Don Weed who is the main Mercury service tech on here Mercury charging systems are only designed to charge and maintain one battery.

4. Member
    I also agree that wiring a 2nd batt in parallel with your cranker is a bad idea with a modern Mercury outboard.

Adding a small lithium batt dedicated for the electronics that does not have starter duties and charged on one the the banks of an on-board 4-bank charger or by a dedicated separate charger is OK. Using a cranking batt with high CCA and 200aH +/- reserve capacity is also a good way to go.

I have a 2021 RT198p, it's wiring setup is the same as yours, and I have not had interference on my Lowrance units from the TM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    I also agree that wiring a 2nd batt in parallel with your cranker is a bad idea with a modern Mercury outboard.

Adding a small lithium batt dedicated for the electronics that does not have starter duties and charged on one the the banks of an on-board 4-bank charger or by a dedicated separate charger is OK. Using a cranking batt with high CCA and 200aH +/- reserve capacity is also a good way to go.

I have a 2021 RT198p, it's wiring setup is the same as yours, and I have not had interference on my Lowrance units from the TM.

thank you. I'm glad I asked about the extra battery running parallel. I currently have 2 helix 12s I plan on having upfront. I'm hoping to add mega live and buying a helix 9 or 7 for console. I have a lowrance elite 9 at console but need helix cause I have way to many waypoints saved from mille lacs. so now I'm looking at the 29 group everstart from Walmart or diehard group 31 from advance auto. I really want to stay with the group 24 cranking battery from interstate. only the 3 helixs will be on the house battery. they said they are about 115 Amp hours snc 200 minutes reserve. lithium really isn't in the budget with buying the other electronics. will either of those batteries work? I only fish a couple times a week from 6-8 hours. most of the time I'm by myself so will be shutting off the helix at console when I'm fishing. thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin74 View Post
    thank you. I'm glad I asked about the extra battery running parallel. I currently have 2 helix 12s I plan on having upfront. I'm hoping to add mega live and buying a helix 9 or 7 for console. I have a lowrance elite 9 at console but need helix cause I have way to many waypoints saved from mille lacs. so now I'm looking at the 29 group everstart from Walmart or diehard group 31 from advance auto. I really want to stay with the group 24 cranking battery from interstate. only the 3 helixs will be on the house battery. they said they are about 115 Amp hours snc 200 minutes reserve. lithium really isn't in the budget with buying the other electronics. will either of those batteries work? I only fish a couple times a week from 6-8 hours. most of the time I'm by myself so will be shutting off the helix at console when I'm fishing. thanks
    Diehard and Everstarts are the same battery. If it was me I would get rid of the Interstate battery and get a Group 31 Duracell AGM or a Group 31 commerical starting battery to run the motor and all of your units off of. On my boat I have a Diehard Group 31 Commerical starting battery and I run 3 9" units, 2 power poles, livewells and crank the motor with it all day and have never had a problem.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Diehard and Everstarts are the same battery. If it was me I would get rid of the Interstate battery and get a Group 31 Duracell AGM or a Group 31 commerical starting battery to run the motor and all of your units off of. On my boat I have a Diehard Group 31 Commerical starting battery and I run 3 9" units, 2 power poles, livewells and crank the motor with it all day and have never had a problem.
    I agree with running everything off one Group 31 commercial batt. I have my eye on this one:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/duralast-battery-31p-b-group-size-31-950-cca/861223_0_0

You about cannot beat this deal with a stick!

8. Member

what diehard battery do you have? I looked them up and seems like the ones that might commercial says farm and truck? also I fish quite a few lakes that are no wake. will the 31 group commercial be enough to run the 3 helix and 1 lowrance? I don't always run lights or livewell so those most of the time won't be running. thanks

9. Member
    I agree with running everything off one Group 31 commercial batt. I have my eye on this one:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/duralast-battery-31p-b-group-size-31-950-cca/861223_0_0

You about cannot beat this deal with a stick!

thanks. that's a good deal. I also saw some agm by Diehard for around 220 with more reserve minutes. I fish quite a few no wake lakes where I can only go 5-6 mph max. will that be enough battery to power 3 helix and 1 lowrance? I do like the idea of kicking out the 24 Group battery and running one big battery plus my boat came with 3 bank on board charger. thanks

10. Member
    what diehard battery do you have? I looked them up and seems like the ones that might commercial says farm and truck? also I fish quite a few lakes that are no wake. will the 31 group commercial be enough to run the 3 helix and 1 lowrance? I don't always run lights or livewell so those most of the time won't be running. thanks
    This is what I have. It will run all of that no problem. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

11. Member
    This is what I have. It will run all of that no problem. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I looked at this batt, too. Looks like while the CCA is slightly higher, the reserve capacity is slightly lower. Advanced also only offers a 1-year warranty on that batt as opposed to a 2-year warranty on the AutoZone batt I posted. These are both made my Clarios and are very similar.

12. Member
    I looked at this batt, too. Looks like while the CCA is slightly higher, the reserve capacity is slightly lower. Advanced also only offers a 1-year warranty on that batt as opposed to a 2-year warranty on the AutoZone batt I posted. These are both made my Clarios and are very similar.
    The price on the one I posted has gone up quite a bit as well. I only paid $125 for mine, it is $180 now and for that price I would go ahead and spend a little more for a Duracell group 31 AGM marine battery from Sam's Club.
    https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...gm/prod3590232

13. Member
    I definitely like a 2 year warranty better. I decided against mega live and picking up a garmin 9 inch and the lvs34 plus livescope. will that battery still be enough power? I will have 2 9 inch and 2 12 inch units . thanks

14. Member
    I definitely like a 2 year warranty better. I decided against mega live and picking up a garmin 9 inch and the lvs34 plus livescope. will that battery still be enough power? I will have 2 9 inch and 2 12 inch units . thanks
    It will be enough power to run everything for some amount of time. How long... someone with a similar setup will have to chime in.

If you put the 2 units at the console on standby when you are at the bow, and vice versa, it will definitely extend the time.

Always a great practice, a must really, to carry jumper cables or a jump pack. Especially until you learn the limits of the batt. And even then still do it.

15. Member

I found a agm Diehard battery 31 series with 1000 cranking amps, 200 reserve minutes. 100 Amp hour. I will now have garmin 106 with livescope, 2 helix 12s and 1 9 lowrance. do you think that's enough power to run everything? thanks for all the help. still froze in here in Iowa so trying to plan everything out before my install

16. Member
    I found a agm Diehard battery 31 series with 1000 cranking amps, 200 reserve minutes. 100 Amp hour. I will now have garmin 106 with livescope, 2 helix 12s and 1 9 lowrance. do you think that's enough power to run everything? thanks for all the help. still froze in here in Iowa so trying to plan everything out before my install
    Again, of course that batt will run everything. For how long is the question. It should carry the loads for long periods of fishing. If you put unused units on standby, if you make runs on the big motor throughout the day, the batt will carry your loads even better.

The batt you are considering has stout specs, If a batt like that cannot get it down, then changing your routine some may be all that is needed.

17. Member
    Again, of course that batt will run everything. For how long is the question. It should carry the loads for long periods of fishing. If you put unused units on standby, if you make runs on the big motor throughout the day, the batt will carry your loads even better.

The batt you are considering has stout specs, If a batt like that cannot get it down, then changing your routine some may be all that is needed.

thank you. I figured I'd put the console graphs in standby. if I have to I'd power livescope with small lithium battery but rather try this first

18. Member

as of right now I have settled on the Duracell 31 group agm battery. has 10 more reserve minutes and 10 more amp hours. plus it has a 30 month warranty. plus right now I will only have 1 9 inch lowrance at console and a 1q 12 inch helix and 10 inch garmin with livescope. getting closer to install day which is end of the month