Found this in the on-board oil tank

Any clue as to where it goes? It is 11/16" long and 3/16" wide. 99 225 efi20230103_155343.jpg
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

That appears to be a threaded insert- POSSIBLY from some portion of a remote deck fill?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

<0G826544> no threads inside
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

4. Member
    Could it be the internal "nipple" for an oil line. Just replaced the oil tank on my optimax and there was something that resembled that sticking up.

Quote Originally Posted by KT978 View Post
    Could it be the internal "nipple" for an oil line. Just replaced the oil tank on my optimax and there was something that resembled that sticking up.
    I think it can be it just doesn't fit in the bottom from the bottom and it doesn't fit in the cap or over the cap from the inside.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No such nipple used. Possibly dumped into the tank by mistake at some point... most likely source IMHO.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No such nipple used. Possibly dumped into the tank by mistake at some point... most likely source IMHO.
    Thank you
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

Well, looks like I'm not the only one that found this. I posted the same thing 6 years ago... https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...t=#post8214494
    Mercury 3.0l 225EFI
    2001, 0T264057
    250XB Fuel ECU
    300PM ING ECU
    Lightened Flywheel
    63cc heads
    Boyesen 2stage reeds
    Cowl mod

9. Member
    im gonna find it ive seen these also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just out of curiousity- either of you ever have a crankcase pressure check valve fail? OR have a remote oil fill?

Don, you referring to 8781051?

It didn't go bad but I replaced it along with bleed lines and checks a few years ago for piece of mind.
    No remote fill, I have the oil tank in the rear compartment, I unscrew the cap to fill.
    Mercury 3.0l 225EFI
    2001, 0T264057
    250XB Fuel ECU
    300PM ING ECU
    Lightened Flywheel
    63cc heads
    Boyesen 2stage reeds
    Cowl mod

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes sir- that's the part number (doubt seriously that it's the source).

For some reason I seem to recall having seen those sitting in one of my tackle boxes, but I'll be darned if I can remember where used.

Could it be an orifice restrictor meant to regulate oil flow through the remote tank hose? Maybe it migrated through the hose?
    Mercury 3.0l 225EFI
    2001, 0T264057
    250XB Fuel ECU
    300PM ING ECU
    Lightened Flywheel
    63cc heads
    Boyesen 2stage reeds
    Cowl mod

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be no orifice in the hose.

15. Member
    well dadgumit i found it , as we speak i am looking down in a new engine mouted oil tank and that piece is installed where the oil exits the tank to the pump , like its pressed into plastic extending out above hole in tank floor , i would think its function would be to help discourage clogging of exit hole , would you concur DR. WEED , the tank im viewing is for a 150pxs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    Does everything still run right? If so............under the rug and next!

That would be the only explanation, It's like a small standpipe. Sediment would accumulate on the floor of the tank below the level of the fitting.
    Mercury 3.0l 225EFI
    2001, 0T264057
    250XB Fuel ECU
    300PM ING ECU
    Lightened Flywheel
    63cc heads
    Boyesen 2stage reeds
    Cowl mod

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wow.... well it appears you're Correct as usual, Joe. Essentially a standpipe for all of the reasons mentioned.

And now reading back through... I somehow was thinking it was seen in the REMOTE tank (by "Onboard" I guess I presumed "on or in the boat" as the meaning).