Thread: Zx 150 vs zx190

Zx 150 vs zx190

First off im sorry if this has been discussed. I have looked and have not found any differences btw the 2 boats. I understand that the 150 replaced the 190 in 2020. With that sid im looking for a used but practically new boat and have found decent deals on both. The 150 is newer so less of them and a little more money. Either boat is more than I need as far as size, storage etc. My main concern is performance. Is the 150 such a newer better design that its worth the extra cash or is it so minor that I should get the 190 if it saves me a few bucks? Thanks for any info and opinions. I really appreciate it.
    Redback

2. Member
    The 190 was rated for a 175 and the 150 is only rated for a 150. That's the main difference other than maybe some cosmetic stuff. If it were me, I'd be looking for a 190 with a 175 if you're set on that size boat.

3. Member
    Ok great. Thank you. Sorry for the late reply but my computer crashed.

4. Member
    It is not the same exact hull. I doubt there is any real notable performance difference in either boat unless you have spent hours driving both models. Layout is essentially the same. The console on a zx150 both front and rear, will be much easier to accommodate multiple graph setups if thats your thing. Trailers used to be built out of house (not sure when they switched), so that may factor in for you. You can also get a tandem axle on 150 model.

Ive never been in a zx190 but bought the zx150 new. You can get the 175 hp in a 190 which is an advantage. Dealers told me that they went away from the 175 hp option because of porpoising but not sure if that is fact, or the salesman opinion. There also seems to be an industry-wide (yamaha/mercury outboard) thing with making 175hp's difficult to acquire, not sure why but that may be part of why its not an option.

This video will show you some of the differences

5. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I bought a 150 last week. The 150 has the same ZX seats, console front and back as the other ZX models have which i think is down to just the 150 and 200 now. The 190 looked like is was in line with the old SX models as far as fit, finish and console. So basically kind of like getting a smaller ZX now instead of a budget boat like the 190 looked like to me. My dealer said they didn't sale a lot of 190's with a 175 because most people looking at that size boat were on a budget and the 175 usually pushed it out of price range so they just made it the 150 option only now. My only complaint is I don't understand why on the 150 they don't make a step for the cooler or put it in the floor and make a bigger storage compartment in the center.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 01-10-2023 at 08:35 AM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

6. Member
    That cooler placement is probably my biggest issue with the boat as well, and really the only thing that could make the boat better in my opinion. Dosent appear to be anything underneath the seats other than foam, wish they had that cooler between the seats or in the step to make one big tackle door like the 200 model

7. Member
    Great information everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to chime in and give me some helpful information. I think I'm leaning towards the 150. Don't have to have a 175. The 150 is plenty for me. I will follow up once I make a purchase. Thanks again.

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89tracker View Post
    That cooler placement is probably my biggest issue with the boat as well, and really the only thing that could make the boat better in my opinion. Dosent appear to be anything underneath the seats other than foam, wish they had that cooler between the seats or in the step to make one big tackle door like the 200 model
    Yeh I don't get the cooler placement or why they don't put storage under the seats or a step storage box between the seats. Its like they want to force you to a bigger more expensive boat.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. Member
    I didn't care for the very small plastic rear storages on the ZX150. Just looks cheap to me. Nice rig otherwise.

10. Member
    The zx190 actually has a larger rear deck than the zx150. They shortened the rear deck of the zx150 to add a little more room at the console. There is also a few more finish differences. The boxes at the rear are smaller on the zx150. I am 6'1 215 lbs and have plenty of room in the console of my zx190. The zx190 also has the hidden latches for the boxes/rod lockers, where the zx150 had the traditional spin latches. I would also say that i prefer the location of the switches on the console of the zx190 compared to the zx150. I have a 10" graph on my console. You wouldnt be able to reach the switches on the zx150 if you mounted that size graph at the console. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either boat though. I bought a used 2018 zx190 and a buddy had a zx150. They are about the same as ride and top speed. Just pick which one fits your budget.

11. Member
    Great video by the way 89tracker. Thats probably the best hands on info I ha e gotten on the 190 Bighunt. Thank you. The bigger rear deck might actually come into play for me. The best fishing partner I have (my dad) is getting up there in age. Still loves to go fishing though and still very capable but a smaller rear deck may not be good for him. Thanks again for all the info

12. Member
    You're welcome, if you are going to be fishing with your dad i would definitely recommend the larger rear deck. Ive been very pleased with my zx190. I have ran 59 degrees solo ( full tank and loaded with gear ) and have touched 58 once with 2 people with ideal conditions. I also mainly fish lake martin in Alabama which is highly populated with big wakeboard boats, and very large bowriders. The ride of the zx190 is amazing in those waters considering the size of the boat. You wont be disappointed with either.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHUNT14 View Post
    I also mainly fish lake martin in Alabama which is highly populated with big wakeboard boats, and very large bowriders. The ride of the zx190 is amazing in those waters considering the size of the boat. You wont be disappointed with either.
    You in my neck of the woods now.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    You in my neck of the woods now.
    Im sure we've crossed paths. I fish the kowliaga end a good bit, my in-laws have a place close to real island so we spend a lot of time down there.

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHUNT14 View Post
    Im sure we've crossed paths. I fish the kowliaga end a good bit, my in-laws have a place close to real island so we spend a lot of time down there.
    If you launch at Kowaliga, go under bridge my parents house is on other side of the Russell/White House on the point right there.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    If you launch at Kowaliga, go under bridge my parents house is on other side of the Russell/White House on the point right there.
    My in-laws are off lake pt road. Very back of little kowliaga creek, instead of going into lott slough you bare left around the little island and they are back in there.. I've Fished that point/island many times by your folks place. Ive got a Grey/Lime zx190. If you see me out there stop by and say hey.