Thread: Lake of Egypt

Lake of Egypt

Does anyone know if the plant still generates at Egypt? It’s 2.5 hours for me and I haven’t been in a few years. I’ve heard it’s shut down, it only runs one unit, and it still runs like normal so I really don’t know what to believe. I was actually thinking about going there this coming Sunday as a change of scenery but not sure if I really want to make that long drive if the plant is down and the water is ice cold.

2. Member
    Lake of Egypt used to run 3 generators, 2 coal fired and 1 natural gas. The 2 coal fired ones are shut down. Lake temps are similar to a lake without generators. Still an excellent bass/crappie lake.

3. Member
    I actually called the Pyramid Acres boat ramp and they told me it ran but not as much as it used to. They also said they haven’t had any ice on the lake except way up on the far end which is normal. The guy I talked to said last he knew the water was high 40s low 50s from the dam down to the buoys where the no ski area starts.

The coal units have been shut down. It did ice over last year during the long cold snap. The small natural gas unit has a very small impact on water temp
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois