Moss King wooden spoon

I posted this in the Missouri forum and here also.

Over 50 years ago there was a wooden spoon lure called Moss King that was used on Duck Creek Lake, near Puxico Missouri in the Mingo Wildlife Refuge. The lure was made of wood, was about the shape of a pear, but spoon flat, with a single turned up hook and skirt on the rear. It was traditional red/white spoon color. Duck Creek lake was then, and is now, covered with Lilly pads and bass lived in them. Around that time bass around 10 lbs were being caught on the Moss King. I had a cousin who caught 9s and I believe a 10 but I did not have a boat or bass fish then.

Since then grass pike have invaded and the bass are small and the lake is almost impassible due to moss, except the channels where the earthen terrace/dam was built almost around the entire lake.

Does anyone know of the lure, have pictures or know where I might find one? Nothing comes up on Google. I don’t know if it was a locally produced or a company manufactured lure.

Thanks. Out of nostalgia I would love to have or make one.

2. Member
    Heddon made the moss boss and Rebel made the Talkin' Spoon that were both similar to what you're talking about. I haven't seen a moss king though.

3. Member
    A lot of old newspapers have archived copies of pages available in databases online with a little searching . I would try looking for local newspaper fishing reports pages for Duck Creek lake Missouri from around the time range you are looking for . Sometimes they will have pictures of big fish included with reports and possibly info on baits used .
    Short of finding someone with knowledge about this bait this may be your best bet .

4. Member
    Jim Bagley back in the day made a "Grass Rat," I guess was his version of that plug you are referring to. It was spoon shaped on one side and flat on the other, balsa wood. I still have and use 4 of his in different colors in the really thick lakes around here.

Moss Boss should do what you are looking to achieve. Would not be surprised if Heddon used a similar name to replace the discontinued King?
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    I have a Heddon Moss Boss if interested

7. Member
    The Bagley Grass Rat is similar but much smaller. The Moss King was around 2.5 in wide and about 3 inches deep. All the ones I saw were bright red and white. Thanks for the info it may have been a locally produced bait.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runners_low View Post
    The Bagley Grass Rat is similar but much smaller. The Moss King was around 2.5 in wide and about 3 inches deep. All the ones I saw were bright red and white. Thanks for the info it may have been a locally produced bait.
    More than likely was. The red/white was probably copying the dardevle spoon color

9. Member
    I collected a few of the wooden moss king lures on Ebay not knowing anything about their history. After buying the first one I was in full belief that it was a good fish catcher in its day. I wanted to get enough to use one or two. They are hard to come by. I have 3.

10. Member
    I collected a few of the wooden moss boss lures on Ebay not knowing anything about their history. After buying the first one I was in full belief that it was a good fish catcher in its day. I wanted to get enough to use one or two. They are hard to come by. I have 3.

There is one listed on ebay now

11. Member

12. Member
    The lure designers name was Roy Marks, he lived in Sikeston Mo. My dad and his son were very close friends..His company’s name was swampfox lures..The story as I recall was the lures inspiration came from fishing the main pool at Duck Creek(Mingo). He sold the patent to Heddon. I have a number of his plastic molded versions..Most of his family is deceased unfortunately.. Feel free to message me if you are looking for more details..
    Nothing better than 5 in the box..