Thread: Starting Again

Starting Again

Its been years since I did any pan fishing ,but I would like to get back into it this next summer. First off reels. I am a big Pflueger fan ,so would I want the size 20 or 25. And as far as rods, do I want light or ultra lite. I would be fishing in a boat basically just casting a bobber around. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Member
    I purchased a 5ft ultra light rod and like it but wish I had gotten a 6.5 or maybe even a 7 foot rod in a light action. It would make casting easier (more distance) and be more useful over all. I really like the Pflueger president series spinning reels. They are very good quality (smooth drag and 10 bearings) for the price. Look at the Strike King "Bitsy Minnow" crank baits. They produce very well for me on yellow perch, bluegill, crappie and the occasional bass.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

3. Member
    I wanted to get back into panfishing as well. And do some fly rod fishing, so I bought a couple 3wt and 4wt fly rods for my panfish fishing.

4. Member
    Ultra light is probably too light to use with a bobber. You have to move the bobber as well as the bait to set the hook, you don't want too soft a rod.

5. Member
    My favorite rod is 7' light and pflueger reel.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

6. Member
    I've been buying the shimano fx series & they have worked great. They're at every walmart & very cheap too at around $20.00. I've been completely satisfied with them for crappie fishing both casting & deep vertical jigging.

7. Moderator
    I use an 8'6" float and fly rod for most of my panfishing when I am not using my fly rod. I can drop shot worms/crickets with it and also cast/vertical jig light grubs/jigs. I paired it with a cheap 1000 Shimano spinning reel. For the money it has been fantastic. I have been running 4-6# mono but recently bought some 10# braid I am going to spool up and use a 4-6# floro leader.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I use an 8'6" float and fly rod for most of my panfishing when I am not using my fly rod. I can drop shot worms/crickets with it and also cast/vertical jig light grubs/jigs. I paired it with a cheap 1000 Shimano spinning reel. For the money it has been fantastic. I have been running 4-6# mono but recently bought some 10# braid I am going to spool up and use a 4-6# floro leader.
    That sounds like a great rig.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

9. Member
    I have a 13 foot acc crappie stix rear seat supergrip jigging rod with 15lb diawa j braid & a 10 mono leader. I also have a 13 ft. jenko fishing Kevin Rogers signature series rod with the same line as the acc crappie stix. When you're not accustomed to reducing the old bass fishing hookset you can put them into orbit with these two rods.

10. Member
    I suggest the Pfluger President 25 size. Currently in the 99.00 range but often go on sale. I recently purchased a couple at Cabela's for 68.00 each.

Suggest a St. Croix in the 6' length.

I use 4# test Mr. Crappie line, hi vis.

Good luck

11. Member
    I have a 9ft. okuma connisuer steelhead rod that i a good rod for crappie fishing.

12. Member
    The rod I want comes in either 6ft 8 or 7ft 2. Which one would you choose?

13. Member
    7-2
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny