Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Changing Fluid in Power Pole Reservoir

not sure how this is done. Can't even find a YouTube video. Anyone with any experience? Thanks.

2. Member
    I used a little harbor freight hand pump and sucked out all of the fluid I could get then refilled the unit. I wasn't having any issues and couldn't see and dirt or water so didn't see any reason to stand on my head and dislocate a shoulder to get the entire pump assemblies out of the bilge. If you suspect water or other contamination is in the system you may consider pulling the pumps out to throughly clean out the tanks.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

I would remove the pump and clean the screens while doing it
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. mikesxpress
    Robert what type of fluid is in the pumps now and how long has it been since it was changed?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Robert what type of fluid is in the pumps now and how long has it been since it was changed?
    Green Marine. I have never changed the fluid (several years) fluid looks ok and pole operate at intended. Nevertheless, it is time. Thanks for your response.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I would remove the pump and clean the screens while doing it
    thank you

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    I used a little harbor freight hand pump and sucked out all of the fluid I could get then refilled the unit. I wasn't having any issues and couldn't see and dirt or water so didn't see any reason to stand on my head and dislocate a shoulder to get the entire pump assemblies out of the bilge. If you suspect water or other contamination is in the system you may consider pulling the pumps out to throughly clean out the tanks.
    thank you.

8. Banned
    I watched a decent video today. I'm going to remove and clean screens/filter and purge lines. Thanks guys for you input.

9. mikesxpress
    Don't put the green bean fluid back in there.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We recommend fluid be changed every 12 to 18 months , while you can use any iso 32 fluid, we recommend you be environmentally friendly and use the green marine fluid. If you do not want to go out and buy a hand pump your wifes turkey baster works well, just dont try to sneak it back into the house

11. Banned
    Don't put the green bean fluid back in there.
    which do you recommend?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    We recommend fluid be changed every 12 to 18 months , while you can use any iso 32 fluid, we recommend you be environmentally friendly and use the green marine fluid. If you do not want to go out and buy a hand pump your wifes turkey baster works well, just dont try to sneak it back into the house
    If longer than 12-18 months, do you recommend removing pump and cleaning filters? Otherwise pretty safe to pump out of reservoir and purge lines...refill? Thanks for your response.

I use the bio-fleet iso32 stuff with good luck but I try to change it every year. Had to power pole stuff gum up a lot but that was before I started changing it yearly
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arley View Post
    If longer than 12-18 months, do you recommend removing pump and cleaning filters? Otherwise pretty safe to pump out of reservoir and purge lines...refill? Thanks for your response.
    if you swap it out every 12 to 18 months do not have to clean screens .. why we recommend this simple easy fluid change at that interval. Annually is ideal and cheap insurance to keep your poles working like a champ

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I use the bio-fleet iso32 stuff with good luck but I try to change it every year. Had to power pole stuff gum up a lot but that was before I started changing it yearly
    thank you, sir

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    if you swap it out every 12 to 18 months do not have to clean screens .. why we recommend this simple easy fluid change at that interval. Annually is ideal and cheap insurance to keep your poles working like a champ
    duly noted. thank you sir.

17. mikesxpress
    which do you recommend?
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=859646

18. Banned
    thanks

19. Banned
    I finally got around to changing fluid in my pump/reservoir. Simple process must be a contortionist. I don't think I will ever attempt this again. Heck, my butt cheeks are aching. In any event. Fluid has never been changed. Six or seven years. JL Marine sent me new screens/filters. Mine looked as good as the new ones.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I finally got around to changing fluid in my pump/reservoir. Simple process must be a contortionist. I don't think I will ever attempt this again. Heck, my butt cheeks are aching. In any event. Fluid has never been changed. Six or seven years. JL Marine sent me new screens/filters. Mine looked as good as the new ones.
    change that fluid annually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast