Thread: New Years Day

New Years Day

Weather was pretty nice yesterday and it has been a while since I have been on the bike. Decided I was going to take advantage of the mid 50's temps. Got in about an hours ride but also discoverered that I have a pretty serious leak on a fork seal. Guess it is time for a trip to the local HD dealer for some repair. Concidering an upgrade to the so called better anti dive componenets. Anyone know how much better this is over the standard single oil dampened tube front end? Or should I just have the seal replaced on the one tube? Guess I am also going to have the brake system flushed and refilled. My Ultra Classic is a 2014 and has 37000 on the meter.

Why mess with something that works good and your happy with? if your going in, do fork seals on both sides or you'll be back there again. The brake fluid flush is easy. if you have a compressor, go find a vacuum bottle and pour it in as you vac it out of the bleeder. Takes five minutes. Did mine last year.

3. Member
    Do you have a non-HD shop you can use? I have one close to me and saves me about 40% from the prices the HD dealer charges. He is a former HD trained and certified tech that opened his own shop.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Do you have a non-HD shop you can use? I have one close to me and saves me about 40% from the prices the HD dealer charges. He is a former HD trained and certified tech that opened his own shop.
    Wish I had that here. I'm 40 miles away from the HD dealer so super inconvenient just to get there and they generally don't get work done the same day so of course I need a ride home from that 40 miles and then a ride back when the work in done.

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Why mess with something that works good and your happy with? if your going in, do fork seals on both sides or you'll be back there again. The brake fluid flush is easy. if you have a compressor, go find a vacuum bottle and pour it in as you vac it out of the bleeder. Takes five minutes. Did mine last year.
    I have concidered doing the upgrade spring and damper set up because the front end has always been quick to dive when you grap the front brake. The upgade is what is in the CVO model bikes. I thought about doing a Progressive Brand upgrade but it is about $100 more than the HD version. Yes, If I just have the seals done I will have them do both tubes even though only the fork that is leaking has oil in it. The other tube does not contain oil. I probably could do the brake bleed myself but I have gotten terribly lazy in my older age and it is sometimes hard to find the extra time to devote to some of the maintenances.