Restoring Gelcoat

I've been trying to restore the gelcoat on my bass boat but it has these white patcher ( attached photos ) that can't be removed, only by wet sanding a very long time and with 400 grit they seem to disappear almost, any way to remove them with compound or cleaner and then polish it?

20230101_164346.jpg 20230101_164241.jpg 20230101_164221.jpg

2. Member
    have you consider wrapping the boat instead?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Looks like automotive clear coat. It’s gonna take a whole lot of elbow grease off that’s the case.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    That was my thoughts when I saw the pics but the experts will be along shortly to give the right answers...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    That's a mess. I agree, poor quality 2K Clear. Bassboat101, be careful how much gel clear you cut while removing the other as anywhere you cut the flake it will be silver forever. I used solid gelcoat colors because once my other Blazer's gel clear softened and I tried to remove it, I went to the flake quickly in Sunburned areas. If the gel Clear was bad enough they tried to clear over to stabilize it's going to be soft in places. I will argue here, I have 2K Automotive PPG Refinish Clear over gel Clear jobs out there that look great that are 10+ years old. The Clear and Catalyst was over $1200 in material costs alone. When I see this its usually not just poor application but poor quality materials on top of the D- Grade application attempt.

6. Member
    Oh boy this is what I was afraid of ( that it would be automotive clear coat ) umm is there another way to remove it instead by wet sanding because I'm really getting into the gelcoat if I try to sand this off completely.

7. Member
    Bud see if you can determine in a sunburned area, something topside, if the gel clear has integrity or not. That honest survey will answer your questions quicker than anything else. If you don't know what I'm saying (respectfully speaking at All times) see if you have a buddy, fiberglass shop, etc who can make the determination. I very much like the restoration practice already mentioned and that is just wrap your boat. I was featured in Louisiana Sportsman Magazine in October and December, 2 different articles, 2 different subjects, not because my current Blazer looks cool but I catch North of 5000 Crappie a year, recreationally. My point, the Fish don't care only you do.

8. Member
    i have seen car painters paint a gelcoat boat or two and they turn out nice with a paint and clear system? scuff and start over or wrap might be best and easiest also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

9. Member
    Thanks for the info guys and say I would go the wrapping the boat route what would I have to do to prepare it ( wet sanding, etc). Also where could I buy a nice cheap wrap that I can just put on myself that lasts a couple of years?

10. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Might want to try this.
    https://poppyspatina.com
    Friend said it really works.

11. Member
    lots of wrapping material on amazon I have heard?
    MAGA

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickPro201 View Post
    Might want to try this.
    https://poppyspatina.com
    Friend said it really works.
    I just read the install instructions as this peaked my interest. I warns against lifting old finishes. Depending on if or what type of catalyst was used this material may create more work than it fixes. Better to test first somewhere hard to see.

13. Member
    Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I'm in the same scenario with almost as bad looking gelcoat. I'd be interested in hearing if you found any solutions. I have looked into a vinyl wrap, but I was told by several wrap shops that I would have to wet sand etc to get the surface really smooth and non porous for the vinyl to stick and stay.