225 Verado on a 198???

Just wondering if anyone ever put a Verado on a 198? Verado is about 150 pounds heavier than the Opti. Wondering if anyone has tried and if there were any issues.
    Last edited by basspro57; 01-02-2023 at 07:32 AM.

I doubt 150# will affect it too much. However, I think the Verado has a built-in setback of 5 inches. I wish I knew more about the Verado design but if it indeed has this inherent setback and if the design is similar to the built-in setback of the G2, then not only is the propeller moved back 5 inches but also the center of gravity of the engine is moved back the same distance.

When I repowered with my G2, this was an issue. It noticeably had a negative affect on both handling and top end speed when mounted on my original jackplate. If I stood on the transom, water would come over the top of the spashwell (not over the deck, itself.) I think the G2 was close to 100# heavier than my original 225 Venom. I don't recall exactly. It's a bit complicated as there are some other differences in weight distribution due to the design differences in the motors such as an on-motor oil tank on the G2 and the DPS steering.

I ended up having to remove my jackplate to get optimal performance. Handling returned to better than ever... like one would expect of a Champion 201 and top end speed increased dramatically. The jackplate had a 6" setback. With the G2, setback was more like 11.5". Just too much. Now... my 201 is old style Champion skinny with a beam of 86". Your 198 is wider and might handle a weight shift and setback differently. Just something to be aware of... if the Verado truly has a built-in setback.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. Member
    There was a 198 for sale with a Verado 225 on it about 1 year ago. Some Bass Cat's ran em as well.

4. Member
    Awesome...Thanks for the link. I ping'd the person who posted to see if there were any issues and if they had any advice.

5. Banned

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro57 View Post
    Awesome...Thanks for the link. I ping'd the person who posted to see if there were any issues and if they had any advice.
    btsmbass hasn't been active on BBC since April 30, 2021. You might click the Send Email link in his profile and that'll send an email to the account on file with BBC.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    btsmbass hasn't been active on BBC since April 30, 2021. You might click the Send Email link in his profile and that'll send an email to the account on file with BBC.
    Good Idea...I didn't notice his activity. I shot him an email. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by basspro57; 01-03-2023 at 09:57 AM.

8. Member
    My buddy has a 05 196 with a Verado 200. Came factory that way. It definitely sits way lower in the back than my 198 with a ProXS. Runs amazing and handles great.

9. Member
    You may be able to offset most of the weight difference with lithium trolling motor batteries.