1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator .... How to access sending unit & fuel line on tank

Hello, I just inherited a 1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator, single console with a Johnson 115.This rig has been sitting up in storage for 6 years.
    I'd like to flush the tank & replace the entire fuel line from the tank to the motor but can't figure out HOW to access it .
    So far I have removed the rear storage bins, pushed the seats forward and still can't figure out how to get to the sending unit & fuel line.
    I've seen youtube videos on other Stratos models that show removing the large tank cover after the seats are removed but they don't match my boat design.
    I also removed the livewell screws & it's loose but still attached to hoses & cables because it only lifts up 2-3" & I didn't want to force anything without knowing how it's plumbed.
    Does the top carpeted deck cover between the livewells & seats actually come off & if so ... how, because I can't find any hidden screws anywhere ?
    I can see the sending unit when looking into the darkness but can't reach it with only 4 inches of clearane beteen the top of the fuel tank & rear deck cover.
    I have the seats pushed forward & out of the way, the storage bins removed, but that carpeted deck cover "about 1 foot wide & 5 or 6 feet long" above the fuel tank appears to be permanently attached to the top cap.
    Surely the sending unit & fuel lines are accessible for service without removing the entire top cap from the hull.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Never mind, figured it out. The rear deck has a steel support pole that must be removed, then the livewells/plumbing & then the tank will come out of the rear hatch with very little clearance & a lot of swearing.
    Of course you must wrestle the gas line & wiring while attempting to bring the tank backwards & out.
    Seems like a BUNCH of work to simply replace a fuel line or fuel sending unit. Very STUPID design not leaving that top panel as a removable unit !!!

3. Member
    bigger hulls have a removable top panel. my 20 ss came off and tank and hoses were easy to get to
    Last edited by mactlman; Today at 10:52 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Just an UPDATE on this old post.
    As far as I know this only pertains to the Stratos 273 Vindicator all composite hull.
    There is NO access whatsoever to the fuel lines at the tank, sending unit or anti-drainback valve while the fuel tank is mounted in place.
    What has to be done to replace the entire fuel line, valve or sending unit?
    1. Open & remove battery panels & batteries, you may need to remove oil tank if running Johnson/Evinrude engine.
    2. Loosen & remove the large steel deck support brace from it's upright position & out of the way. Mine was rusty & had to be sprayed with penetrating oil & soaked for 2 day's before breaking lose.
    3. Remove storage drawers on both side from above.
    4. Livewell will also have to come out, upper & lower plumbing is a nightmare all in itself & fragile so be aware.
    5. Fuel tank has some aluminum L shaped brackets that have to be removed.
    6. Fuel tank can now be wiggled backwards enough towards the splashwell to remove fuel lines now, but if you need to flush/clean the tank, it must come out.
    7. Removing "empty" entire tank is a 2 person job, one up top & one working from the splashwell end with a LOT of pushing & tilting at different angles to finally clear the exit.

To be honest if I had to do it all over again I would cut a access panel out up top between the livewell, re-glass the cuts & place new carpet over the repair.
    WHY the factory decided to build this little Hot Rod hull without access to the fuel line, anti-syphon valve & sending unit is beyond any reasoning ... it's just plain crazy in my opinion !!!

5. Member
    Wow. Too much work!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools