Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium battery box for dedicated graphs power

I watched a YouTube video yesterday where a guy installed a Ice Hole Power battery box with a Amped Outdoors Lithium battery in his rod locker to power his Livescope system. Pretty neat setup. Anyone else do this? Is so, how to do you like it? He has the graph and the black box powered by it on a quick disconnect. After fishing he disconnects the box and takes it inside to charge.

I use a 30ah Amped Outdoors in my rod locker to power my livescope and black box. Instead of going the box route I bent a piece of metal and used it to secure my battery to the wall of my rod locker. In the video you saw they more than likely use the wide battery version. The one mounted in my rod locker is the tall version.

We recently discussed this in another forum. Read all the replies for some ideas.....https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...=#post12805369

Here is a couple pictures...one is in my rod locker and the other is the fabricated bracket

3. Member
    Thank you very much! Nice setup!

4. Member
    Looks good.

How do you charge the battery?

Depending on the size of the battery, you can use a couple different sizes of plastic ammo boxes. Makes it easy to take in/out of the boat. I have a 16v Amped Outdoors battery so I got the larger version (great for an electronics repair box as well). The charger is not waterproof so it is not in the boat. I installed quick disconnects to the battery and the graph and just pull the battery out at the end of the day to charge.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

6. Member
    I have the Ice hole box. I like it. I also use it camping and other things. I have the one with the light. I use the light when I have to work on my car at night. I run my graph and livescope off of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Looks good.

How do you charge the battery?
    On the Amped Outdoors website there is two choices of a battery charger for the 30 ah battery. If my memory is correct the 3 amp charger is $20 and the 10 amp charger is $50. Neither one of them is waterproof nor are they recommended to be mounted in a boat. Both come with a quick connect plug. The 3 amp quick connect is not a heavy duty Anderson connector like the 10 amp connector. I'm not complaining but a Anderson connector is a little overkill for 10 amps but if that's what it comes with then I'll take it. If your not familiar with a quick connect Anderson connector just look at my first picture and find the two wires coming off the battery going to a red connector. That is the quick connect Anderson connector. The 3 amp charger has a quick connect connector but its not heavy duty, nor does it need to be. The 3 amp charger or the 10 amp charger does not weigh very much nor do they take up much space. I keep my charger is a small carry bag and I leave it on a shelf in my garage right next to my boat. In the event I was to travel for an overnight trip I take my carry bag with me.

You can find the style 30ah battery and charger I use in the link I'm going to provide. I went with the tall version 30 ah and the 10 amp charger. The 3 amp charger in theory should recover a fully dead 30 ah in 10 hours. The 10 amp should do it in 3 hours. With my 10 amp charger I'm usually fully charger in 2 hours or less after an 8 hour day of fishing. The 3 amp charger would be enough but I chose the 10 amp.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/

8. Member
    JR19, Is the bracket you use to secure your battery to the rod locker installed where you can remove the battery without messing with the bracket? Thank you!

Honestly I have not tried. Now that I think about it I suppose I could try sliding the battery up and remove it from the bracket. It stays in my boat in the garage and I have yet to have a reason to remove it. If trying to slide it up/out does not work it will only take a few seconds with a nut driver to remove 2 Philips head screws.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Honestly I have not tried. Now that I think about it I suppose I could try sliding the battery up and remove it from the bracket. It stays in my boat in the garage and I have yet to have a reason to remove it. If trying to slide it up/out does not work it will only take a few seconds with a nut driver to remove 2 Philips head screws.

I have the same setup but I chose the 3 amp charger and put it in locker with the battery and black box. The 3 amp is small and I just pushed to the back of the locker out of the way. I ran a power cable back to the bilge and wired it to the power connection for the onboard battery charger. This way it charges whenever I charge the other batteries.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Another option. DeWalt 20v FlexVolt connected through accessory switch on console. Good way to use batteries you may already have.
    KIMG0859.JPG

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Another option using your TM batteries: https://powerhouselithium.com/produc...xINO90wW_rZog0

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Another option using your TM batteries: https://powerhouselithium.com/produc...xINO90wW_rZog0
    Thanks! I never heard of this option. Looks interesting. Do you use that?

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I’m using the powerhouse 16v for my electronics right now. If I go to the active target 2 I’ll probably make the switch.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Make sure to check us out for all your Lithium Needs.

Deep BBC Discounts going on now.

Have Questions......PM Me and let's talk!

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 01-17-2023 at 11:35 AM.

18. Member
    I installed an Impulse 60 ah 16 volt lithium on my boat in March of 2022. I use a fast connector for the charger as I choose not to permanently have it in the boat. I installed it in my right rod locker and I mounted it with a bungee cord and used an old battery box cover for the top. It runs my three Humminbird graphs and the 360. Honestly it doesn't take up any extra space and has-been held securely for the full year. I can take the battery out of the boat in less than 30 seconds. I can get three 8 hour trips before I need to charge the battery.

The bonus, I have never drained my cranking battery since moving all the electronics over to their own battery.

Do I like my Impulse Lithium Battery? No!!!!! I LOVE my Impulse Lithium Battery. Seriously just don't get hung up on the brand name. My recommendation is to buy the cheapest named brand you can find. Of course BBC sponsors do generally give you a competitive price along with a good product.

Special note: I like having the Bluetooth monitoring and would never buy another battery without it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

19. Member
    I have been running an Amped Outdoors 30ah Tall in my summit shuttle for ice fishing for years now. For the open water season I have a dedicated corner of the starboard side rod box where I keep the black box and battery mounted right on that shuttle. I have a standalone Battery Tender 4 amp charger that has a lithium profile on it and I use the SAE quick connect to plug that in when I get off the lake. This system works for me because I can quickly switch over to ice or open water mode. Will be made even quicker if I get a second LVS32 ducer to leave mounted on the boat. The change over would then be about a minute for me.

20. Member
    I have mine in the drivers side rod locker. I made it out of a 50 caliber harbor freight plastic ammo can with a fused power switch. I put sae connectors in it which is 1 on one end for a charge port & 2 one the other end with one being for the 93 sv power & one for the gls 10 power & it works great. When i get home i just open the cover on the the sae connector & plug in the charger. If i never blow a fuse i shouldn't have to open it until my battery goes bad. I have the 16 volt 18 amp hour battery though so it's smaller the Jr19s but any waterproof plastic box could be used easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast