Boca Grande Fishing

So my buddy just bought a place in Punta Gorda and is getting his new Ranger here in a few months and we plan on fishing Boca Grande area, I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos and reading some. Does anybody have any tips or rigs for fishing this area? Thanks in advance. Have a great 2023.

2. Member
    Is it a saltwater Ranger or Bassboat? The mouth at the BG pass is Tarpon central May-July.
    Backwaters in Charlotte Harbor and Lemon Bay are Great for Snook,Trout,Reds. Stump Pass is also great for Snook.

saltwater Ranger 2660 Bay, Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 01-02-2023 at 08:37 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    So my buddy just bought a place in Punta Gorda and is getting his new Ranger here in a few months and we plan on fishing Boca Grande area, I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos and reading some. Does anybody have any tips or rigs for fishing this area? Thanks in advance. Have a great 2023.

The Boca Grande and Gasparilla Sound area is a fertile place. Sit on your dock and watch everything from mullet to giant jewfish swim by.

Around Gasparilla Pass you can catch speckled trout, reds, sheephead, cobia, tarpon, and grouper all within a few hundred yards from the flats to the pass.

My personal preference is weighted swim baits in the passes on heavy spinning gear - bottom bump the rocky ledges, keeping an eye for free swimming cobia or tarpon to throw at.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    The Boca Grande and Gasparilla Sound area is a fertile place. Sit on your dock and watch everything from mullet to giant jewfish swim by.

Around Gasparilla Pass you can catch speckled trout, reds, sheephead, cobia, tarpon, and grouper all within a few hundred yards from the flats to the pass.

My personal preference is weighted swim baits in the passes on heavy spinning gear - bottom bump the rocky ledges, keeping an eye for free swimming cobia or tarpon to throw at.
    Great info. Thanks

As far as tides is one better then the other?

7. Member
    Outgoing and first of the incoming.
    Moving water is best.