Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    It's strange, I am absolutely terrified of heights but I will take an airplane flight while I won't get on a roller-coaster. I don't fly often, but every few years something will come up that requires me to fly.

2. Member
    You are far far far more likely to die driving to the airport
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

3. Member
    I love flying, Two of my best experiences was a fly in trip to a remote lake in Canada on a Bush Plane with pontoons.
    The other was getting to fly with a Vietnam fighter pilot in an acrobatic glider all day long. He taught me how to fly the thing and I even did a loop before the day was over. Nothing like a glider. Commercial Airlines are boring but no fear.

Strange but true... I don't have a fear of heights, I have a fear of falling (two very different phobias). I have a lot of hours hanging under a helicopter on a 100 foot cable. Once we got high enough that I was sure I would die if the cable broke or the helicopter quit flying I didn't worry about it anymore... I guess it's all in how you look at it.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Skeeter View Post
    It's strange, I am absolutely terrified of heights but I will take an airplane flight while I won't get on a roller-coaster. I don't fly often, but every few years something will come up that requires me to fly.
    I’m the same as you.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Any particular question you have? I’m an airline pilot for a living and will try to answer any question you have to the best of my ability

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    curious if anyone else has a fear of flying , I have the John Madden syndrone I guess. Haven't been able to bring myself to ever get on a plane.
    Well there's your problem - Get IN the damn plane, let the daredevils get on the plane. (RIP George Carlin)
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Thus your screen name!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Doc will give you a Valium and all will be fine. Go on the trip and enjoy.
    Or .5 mg of Lorazapam. It takes the edge off of my nerves
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

10. Member
    I don’t have a fear of flying. I have a fear of being stuck in a metal tube with so many people for so long and nothing is in my control. Also about 10 other things relating to lay overs, luggage, cancelations, etc etc etc.

11. Member
    It’s not the actual flying that I hate ! it’s everything else ! the lines, delays , cancellations , security , baggage hassles , crappy food, drunks, a-hole drunks, babies, Karens, connections,rentals,customs, etc . I used to fly all over the world for work ! thank god I’m now retired !

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I don’t have a fear of flying. I have a fear of being stuck in a metal tube with so many people for so long and nothing is in my control.

13. Member
    I have more of a fear leaving the country than the flying .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

14. Member
    I have not flown since 9/11 around the time I retired. Not afraid just won't take the inconvenience of baggage restrictions, long line, and crowded cabins. Gone are days of night flights alone in an empty cabin.

Nope. Flying is no big deal. Airports suck though.

Quote Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
    I miss flying around in a C-141 at 30,000 ft. The best part was when the loadmaster would open the door so we could jump out into the night sky. Fun times!
    You jumped at 30,000'? 12,000 was the highest exit for me. Then I realized the falling was not very fun, did like floating under the chute.

16. Member
    Me. I'm indeed scared of flying. I'm generally afraid of heights and moreover I feel sick while flying. I've booked the flight in two month to visit my friend in Atlanta. I hope I'll feel good and the weather will be fine so that I don't have to cancel the flight. Because as I see here https://costco-travel.pissedconsumer.com/review.html, the company is not very quick to pay the refunds.
    Last edited by divelt; 01-17-2023 at 01:17 PM.

17. Member
    Phobias are all in your head. Literally. Go see someone about it or just book a 12 hour flight somewhere and right back. You'll fall asleep eventually.

I had a little bit of vertigo, but the Navy beat it out of me.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Recently had a trip by car from Chicago to Mobile, Alabama. My wife drove all the way, I just held the steering wheel.
    Our wives must be related!
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Dtronic View Post
    Phobias are all in your head. Literally. Go see someone about it or just book a 12 hour flight somewhere and right back. You'll fall asleep eventually.

I had a little bit of vertigo, but the Navy beat it out of me.

I had a flight booked years ago and went into a panic as the date approached and canceled. Went to see a therapist because I had flown before and wanted to know what went wrong. She actually got me into a very small plane on a very windy day and I flew to an island off the coast. Sat right behind the pilot and had the time of my life as the plane shook and dropped with the wind gusts. My wife went with me and is not afraid of planes was sick as a dog and said she prefer to swim back that get on that little plane. After that flight, I actually thought about flying lessons but them feeling only lasted a day or two. I have to get back on a plane to go to Texas soon but I'm not to happy about it.

Get your kids to shoot you in the neck with a tranquilizer dart they they had to do for Mr. T.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast