Dyeing g10 grips

I LOVE my Dan Wesson ECP. OMG nothing fits in my hand quite like it. Like shaking hands with a old friend every time I pick it up. It comes with a uniquely typed G10 grip from VZ. What I do not like is the color. Kind of a electric Gray. I tried ordering replacement grips but The thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top taper is not available commercially. So I thought I would try my hand at Changing the color to one of my favorite shades of green on a blued gun. I am completely tickled with how it turned out.
    20221230_131625.jpgbefore

20221230_162210.jpg after
    Last edited by vatreefarmer; 12-30-2022 at 04:34 PM.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

2. Member
    I think that looks awesome. I've got a DW Valor with the slimline grips but haven't changed them. How did you change the color? trade secret??

I love the Dan Wesson bobtails. I wanted commander classic bobtail for a while, then they stopped making it. then brought it back and I had other things on my mind.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

No trade secret. Internet search revealed that the knife makers have been dying g10 way before us gun guys tried it. A hot bath in some Rit dye for synthetics (Dye All.)

And yes, Dan Wesson has made me want to throw away my Sigs, Kimbers, and CZs.
    Last edited by vatreefarmer; 12-30-2022 at 09:56 PM.

That looks great! Care to share the process for us inquiring minds?
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    That looks great! Care to share the process for us inquiring minds?
    Sure!
    Remember that the dye can only turn lighter colors into a darker version of your color choice. Black will remain black.

Product to use is Rit "Dye All" (liquid) for SYNTHETICS, which is different than the usual Rit fabric dye.

Wash down your grips with a little dawn just to make sure all oils are removed.
    In a 2 qt stainless pan, add approx 1-1.5 qts water and dye in approx a 8:1 water:dye ratio, but it's OK to add a splash more dye to speed up the process. Add a dollop of Dawn as well. Heat to low boil
    Attach grips to a thin wire that is firm enough to hold them in place and seperated. Immerse grips in dye. keeping temps around 200*. Check every 5 minutes or so, and as grips approach desired temp, pull them from the dye long enough for them to dry in order to get a gauge of resulting color when DRY. add back to dye mix if necessary. Then once done, soak/swirl in water bucket to remove any excess dye. Rinse very well once done. Let dry thoroughly before attaching to gun just to prevent rust (I even added a thin coat of rem oil to back of grip and to gun)

Now here is where I learned a lot. Temp is important. In trying to avoid having dye anywhere near my wifes countertop, I initially tried doing so in a small crockpot in the garage. But temps never got above 160* and after an hour soak color was still very light. So I carefully put into a pot and put on wifes stove. Once temp got to around 200* the process sped up and I was done in about 15 minutes. It would be great if you could find a hot plate to use outside.