Talon depth cheat?

I saw a video on youtube where you can gain a little extra reach on a talon using quick release handles and then sliding the whole unit down into the water. Looking at a 15ft talon so its a pretty long unit. How much can you gain sliding it down? Couple more feet?

I personally would not slide it down. I would be worried about the circut board getting wet and shorting out. All it takes is another boat to come on by throwing a wake and now your stuck with an extended talon. But hey I guess it could be done just done drop them quick release handles .
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Although I never done it I'll inject my opinion on the scenario... I think it would be a pain in the ass to bend over the rear transom to adjust the height even with quick release handles. Plus I think it would be a two man job to do safely. Think about the weight of the talon. Once you loosen the tension its going to slide down. If you loosen it to much I could see it sliding too fast and bottom out on the bracket and then your really in for a fight to raise it back up. Lets say it does slide up and down with ease. Every time you go to get on plane your going to have to raise them buy hand. A Talon sticking down 2 feet lower than its supposed to be will be massive drag on hole-shot. Even if you got on plane with them down it would have bad consequences to boat handling and have a possibly to damage something. For me personally this would just be a pain in the rear.

Another opinion... ALL brands of shallow water anchors are pushing the limit of holding power at 10 ft. It's really a law of physics. The longer something is the more flex it has if you don't increase the thickness or stiffness. The 8 and 10 ft model have the same spike just longer. I have zero personal experience with a 15 ft Talon nor do I even know anyone who owns one but from pictures on the internet they look similar to a 8 or 10 just longer. Pushing the 15 footer down to gain a couple more feet is just going to make them have more flex. In my opinion the 15 is already a bad idea so yes I think pushing it down is an even worse idea...again just my opinion.

In my opinion the best case scenario is twin 8 ft or possibly 10 ft models. I prefer the 8 but that's my personal preference. For water deeper than 8 ft a trolling motor with spot lock is a better option. With a spot lock trolling motor your not limited to any depth. You can spot lock in shallow or the deepest water on the lake.