Oil leak 1999 225 optimax

Serial number: 0G927739
    So I have oil leaking and i am going to clean and degrease the engine this weekend when the weather warms up, but I have a suspicion that the oil is coming from a white plastic elbow on top of the intake manifold that has a hose running back to the compressor with a brass/bronze check valve looking part in the middle of the hose. It has the most concentration of oil around it and it is also the highest point in the engine with oil on it. I guess my question is, is this possible to be leaking oil while running or should I be looking elsewhere when I clean and check with powder? Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are using Mercury DFI oil, use a UV light to make seeing the leak easier.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Thanks for the idea, I have one and will try it out once I get it all cleaned up.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd be quite surprised if your primary leak is coming from there. Not impossible, though.

Better check the oil pump itself (and likely not the hose connections, the actual PUMP).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Oil pump is dry, most of the oil is located on top of the intake manifold around and near that white elbow. Would this leak more at higher rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'd be quite surprised if your primary leak is coming from there. Not impossible, though.

Better check the oil pump itself (and likely not the hose connections, the actual PUMP).

6. Member
    Might just need to re seal elbow, probably all it is
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possibly- especially if loose or in need of sealant. If you're going to have to fix a leak... this is about the easiest and least expensive of all.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    What would you recommend resealing with?

9. Member
    I personally like a Teflon based sealant, arp has a outstanding product, but u will have to order.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    That white plastic elbow developed a crack in a 1999 225 optimax I had. I removed it and found a 90 degree hose barb with female threads that matched the post that was inside that plastic elbow. Some Teflon tape and the 90 degree hose barb fixed it.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2004 Optimax S/N: 0T795443

11. Member
    I plan on removing that elbow this week once I finish another project on the boat. I tried finding a new one through Mercury but to no avail, I’ll probably end up doing the same as you if it’s cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknitro View Post
    That white plastic elbow developed a crack in a 1999 225 optimax I had. I removed it and found a 90 degrees hose barb with female threads that matched the post that was inside that plastic elbow. Some Teflon tape and the 90 degree hose barb fixed it.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I seem to recall that I replaced one several years back and had to switch to a brass-elbow.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-04-2023 at 03:38 PM.

13. Member
    Don, I think you posted something a while ago that was real helpful. I recall something about removing the intake, drilling out where that elbow is and then tapping it for the brass elbow. I remember reading it and thinking that would be the best way to fix it.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2004 Optimax S/N: 0T795443

14. Member
    I found the crack in the elbow. It was open enough to fit my finger nail in it. Is the brass piece threaded in or press fitted? Also could anyone point me in the right direction for a service manual? Thank You.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudron08; 01-05-2023 at 04:15 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudron08 View Post
    Also could anyone point me in the right direction for a service manual? Thank You.
    If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    brass fitting most likely threaded , 855348R02 should be manual for your engine / used for ser numbers 0g590000-0g960499
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Thank you, Joe. I will see what I can find.

18. Member
    Would it be frowned upon to place a hose over the brass fitting that is in the manifold and connect it to a brass elbow that would replicate what was installed originally? If the brass elbow is sticking up 1/2" and the barbs on the elbow are 1/2" long then my thought was to cut a 1" long piece of tube and connect the two together. The only difference from original is that it will stick up a bit higher. I have already checked and there is enough clearance under the black plastic intake cover. I just want to do this to confirm that this was were the leak is before pulling the intake manifold to drill and tap for a pipe thread and installing an elbow. Thank You.

19. Member
    should work fine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................