I have a Cup-ple of questions

My second prop on my Ranger RT 188P with a Mercury 115 Pro XS Command Thrust (2.38:1 gear) is a Trophy 4-blade, 23P. This prop performs fairly well (decent hole shot and good bite on turns), but the RPMs exceed the 6300 redline (6400 per Vessel View) when fully trimmed out at 47.7 mph (GPS). I am considering adding cup, but there appears to be different types and amount of cupping. My primary goal is to get more bow lift, which should also help me get on pad faster than the current 5500-ish RPMs and reduce overall slippage). My suspicion is that the relatively heavy 24V Ultrex requires more trim to fully get on pad at lower speeds because my boat runs better with the live well 1/2 - 3/4 full. I presume wherever I add cup, it should also reduce the over-revving. I was doing a little research have a couple of questions:

1. Where should the cup should be added (leading edge or trailing edge) to get more bow lift?

2. Is there any general rule of thumb as to the amount of cupping which equates to 1 degree of pitch?

Thanks.

Cup added to the tips of the blade add bow lift. The amount of cup varies to the needs. It could reduce rpms, But if your boat craves cup/bow lift, You could go faster and gain rpms.... No such rule of thumb.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Thanks 21XDC. I had my 3-blade cupped and the cupping appeared to be at the tips of the blades. Before sending my 4-blade out for modification, I searched the internet for more information about cupping which led to a couple of articles referencing cup at the leading edge vs the trailing edge. According to the articles, cupping at the leading vs trailing edge have different effects (bow lift vs stern lift). I also called a local prop shop who asked how much cup was added to my 3-blade. I didn't know that cupping is measured 1, 2, 3, etc. That's why I thought I would seek out additional information.