2017 G2 hooked to lithium battery

Has anyone had any issues with the charging system on a 2017 evinrude G2 hooked to a lithium battery ?
    I have a nextgen lithium LiFePO4.

2. Member
    My 2015 G2 250 is on its 7th year with a relion 100ah lithium battery. Be sure to check the specs. of the battery and that it is ok for starting and has the amps needed. Also the charging voltage.

3. Member
    Use a Relion 100Hp on my G2 with never an issue.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    For the record. Evinrude does not recommend nor endorse LIon batteries. They say the engines charging system is designed for lead acid batteries and use of lithium ion batteries may require additional equipment to ensure proper charging. You will find many reports of successful and No problem installations.

Here is an excerpt from their 2017 service bulletin.
    February 16, 2017
    Service Bulletin No. 2017-02(D) Models: All EvinrudeŽ Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

There is multiple types of lithium batteries. The 2017 service bulletin in reply#4 specifically addresses lithium ion. The OP is asking about the use of a lithium LiFePO4. Since the service bulletin specifically calls out the ion type of lithium battery is it safe to assume LiFePO4 is okay to use? I know a few people using a LiFePO4 as a cranking battery on motors other than Evinrude. I can't say that I personally know anyone using a Lithium LiFePO4 or any type lithium on a Evinrude as a cranking battery. So I guess my question is what is Evinrude's stance on using a lithium LiFePO4 as a cranking battery.

I’m Running an Ionic Lithium 100 AMP as mf cranking battery for my 2012 Evinrude E-Tec G1. Has never given me any issues
    2012 Ranger Z520 Comanche
    Evinrude E-Tec 200HP

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    ……………So I guess my question is what is Evinrude's stance on using a lithium LiFePO4 as a cranking battery.
    And that answer is one we will never know - unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    And that answer is one we will never know - unfortunately.
    My opinion may not count in the eyes of Evinrude or other people but I think the answer to my direct question is in-directly answered in the service bulletin. In my opinion the service bulletin singled out lithium ion and never mention other types of lithium batteries. Granted I don't believe everything I read on the internet but there is enough chatter out there of people using a lithium LiFEPO4 battery as a cranking battery in marine applications to make me believe its okay.

However with the above being said I do personally know one person who had an issue with a LiFePO4 as a cranking battery. It was on a Yamaha 250 SHO. At high rpm his big motor would shutdown because his battery went into sleep mode. I was told his specific battery has a safety feature where it went into sleep mode when it sense too high of a voltage input. Now here is what has me puzzled about his situation...He says this only happen when everything was turned off and the battery was not powering accessories. If he turns on multiple graphs and accessories his motor does not shut down. I find it odd but he says as long as he is running his live sonar and accessories at wide open rpm his motor will run but if nothing is on it goes dead. I have never been in his boat but this is how he explained the situation to me. I didn't mean to get side track with what happen on A SHO but I do find the relevance of his LiFePO4 being relevant to this discussion.

9. Member
    Just to clarify-It is not that your opinion does not count, because you do know there are no Evinrude eyes any more? There can be no answer from something that no longer exists.

10. Member
    I run a 2017 225 G2. On the recommendation of my dealer it is connected to Miller Tech 125 amp lithium battery. Running it for 2 years now, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 188 Elite View Post
    I run a 2017 225 G2. On the recommendation of my dealer it is connected to Miller Tech 125 amp lithium battery. Running it for 2 years now, no issues.
    Thanks this is helpful. About to put one in mine!

Some dealers don't know crap about the G2. When I bought mine, they didn’t know where to add oil. Then they recommended that I not use an on-board water fuel separator. They didn’t do a fuel lift pump vacuum test as required in the PD&I. When missing the water pressure reading on first start up, I had to ask them to enable the digital transducer in Evdiag (they were sure that it enabled automatically.) And that's just a few examples. I would certainly question a dealer that recommended a lithium cranking battery.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Our 12v-100Ah All purpose is a great option

Best BBC Pricing PM Sent

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    PM sent

15. Member
    fun to watch the lithium guys go after it!!! in direct sales also and in a downturn every bit helps
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools