Share your upgrades thread

Hey guys I'm getting ready to start a few upgrades to my rt188 over the winter. Here's what's on my to do list.
    New ultrex install
    Lift struts on all lids, livewell lights,
    Storage and deck lighting, led navigation lights, fold down cleats and retractable rod buckles. Big list

What have you done to your tin rig?
    Please share pics, tips and ideas

2. Member
    Haven't done much to it my RT188 this year. Last year, I upgraded from gen 2 HDS to Carbons, and a ghost trolling motor. I added Active target this year, and changed my trailer lights out to LEDs.

3. Member
    How do you like the ghost

I have several customizations to both boat and trailer but here are three favorites:

If you do install an Ultrex, the Bounce buster is a good upgrade. The Ultrex aluminum support is hollow so you just have to thread the hole and screw the head of the bounce buster onto the end.
    This pic also shows a DIY motorized transducer pole that I build. If you have LiveScope or Active Target this is a great addition. If interested, check my post in the Clever Tips and Ideas forum for build instructions.

If your boat has Recirculating Livewell but no pump out, this is an easy add on. It also serves as a bag filler. This pic also shows the boarding ladder and hand hold I installed. If interested in any of these, I can provide additional detail.

This is also a favorite. I sealed the inside of the deck step with starboard and made a lid.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have several customizations to both boat and trailer but here are three favorites:

If you do install an Ultrex, the Bounce buster is a good upgrade. The Ultrex aluminum support is hollow so you just have to thread the hole and screw the head of the bounce buster onto the end.
    This pic also shows a DIY motorized transducer pole that I build. If you have LiveScope or Active Target this is a great addition. If interested, check my post in the Clever Tips and Ideas forum for build instructions.

If your boat has Recirculating Livewell but no pump out, this is an easy add on. It also serves as a bag filler. This pic also shows the boarding ladder and hand hold I installed. If interested in any of these, I can provide additional detail.

This is also a favorite. I sealed the inside of the deck step with starboard and made a lid.

Great upgrades, I'm adding the deck step mod to my list.
    Did you add the vents I see?

I have a powered vent in the bulkhead of each forward locker. There is a muffin fan behind each vent to circulate outside air with thruhull fittings in each side of the rod locker to join up all 3 lockers. The fans are connected to a 110 volt wiring harness that is routed back to the bilge where it joins the power connector for the on board battery charger. Therefore, fans run anytime the batteries are charging.
    This pic shows the vent in the port locker. It also shows another addition, a day box/take off storage locker that I installed in an unused space. There is a plastic bin integrated into the bulkhead access port making this a waterproof storage. This thing is handy as a pocket on a shirt.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
    How do you like the ghost
    It's been great so far, but I need to do the recall fix to it this weekend. It's really made my fishing better.

8. Member
    There's some good information on setups and modifications in the sticky section.

9. Member
    Upgrades/additions I have done to my 2020 RT198

Hot foot
    Dual trim levers
    Remote drain valve
    Remote battery charger plug in
    Keel protector
    Trick steps
    DD26 transom saver
    Custom power pole covers
    Motor cover

10. Member
    Bill, is the boarding ladder OEM or aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    It is a Ranger. I was looking at an aftermarket one that is built by the same company that builds them for Ranger (www.metalogicinc.com) However, I was in my dealers shop and happened to find one that had been ordered from Ranger by mistake. They gave me a price break on it to avoid the expense of sending it back.

Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    Take note on Bill's Grab Handle. Trust me that is GOLD!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    It is a Ranger. I was looking at an aftermarket one that is built by the same company that builds them for Ranger (www.metalogicinc.com) However, I was in my dealers shop and happened to find one that had been ordered from Ranger by mistake. They gave me a price break on it to avoid the expense of sending it back.
    Bill the handle idea is great. Where did you get it and what size is it ???

14. Member
    Well I started on my list of mods to my rt 188.
    First I got rid of the annoying cleats that loved to snag my rods. I replaced them with fold down cleats from Thorn.
    Next I finally converted the non- functional step to a storage step. More mods to come!
    [ATTACH]510451[/20230114_190401.jpg20230104_183451.jpgATTACH]20230114_190350.jpg
    C4

15. Member
    I have done quite a few items from the sticky above. Made a passenger rod rack, did the led light for mercury buzzer, V-T2 livewell vents, bracket for a manual anchor pole on the transom, circulating fan for the front deck wired to the charger cord, transom mount charger port for battery charger, center seat storage compartment. Maybe a few other as well, but dont have pics of most of them. Have a few if anyone needs some imspiration just PM me. Will try to dig up some to post.
    Last edited by alanhore; 01-14-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged View Post
    Bill the handle idea is great. Where did you get it and what size is it ???
    It is the same as the Ranger passenger handle but this one is an aftermarket. I planned to buy the Ranger but my dealer did not have one in stock (which was a surprise since he has a large Ranger stock) so he looked in a large book and found this one for $7.00.
    The Ranger one was also reasonably priced but at the time delivery was long and uncertain.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    I have done quite a few items from the sticky above. Made a passenger rod rack, did the led light for mercury buzzer, V-T2 livewell vents, bracket for a manual anchor pole on the transom, circulating fan for the front deck wired to the charger cord, transom mount charger port for battery charger, center seat storage compartment. Maybe a few other as well, but dont have pics of most of them. Have a few if anyone needs some imspiration just PM me. Will try to dig up some to post.
    6ABCC587-559F-41D6-A62E-27F912C2B7EB.jpeg63C297AF-6B26-4AE9-BB46-38B3A8A559D8.jpeg6FBA8E72-49C9-451F-A716-B1E04EEE0E2C.jpeg7641F393-A610-41E9-A72C-2BF39C0A283E.jpegC6FC5E37-D629-409A-A0E5-410E4E634DB3.jpeg