Broke leaf spring on side road.

I have a 97 Ranger 461vs single axel trailer. Obviously don't ever want it to happen but would like advise on supplies needed and how to handle the issue to be able to limp back home. Thanks

Not much choice other than a tow truck (roll back)
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Not much choice other than a tow truck (roll back)

UNA-052 | Trailer Leaf Spring | Double Eye | 5 Leaves (truckspring.com)
    Good chance this is what you need. It has the 4.25'' arch which is likely what you need beside the correct weight and length.
    I used these for my 2000 single axle Javelin R20 to replace the mono springs that were on it. They didn't break but they were old. You wouldn't think it but the weight rating was seriously needed as well as the arch. Most springs have a 3'' arch, which just don't keep the fenders off the wheel.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

You should get new shackles and bolts too. Check the hole in your hanger for round. If oblong then drill out and use a brass sleeve.

5. Member
    I have jammed a 4 x 4 between the axle and the trailer frame so people could limp home. It just makes for a firm ride.

6. Member
    I pulled a Ranger dual axle trailer with a 390 sitting on it all the way from Southern Florida all the way to NE Ohio by removing the wheel and hub leaving exposed axle to just dangle.Now, I can’t say I recommend this, but short of having it towed to some unscrupulous garage’s in the early 1990’s and leaving it for days for a repair I chose this route. The axle could easily be chained or strapped in place or blocked with wood as billnorman suggests, and I’m prepared to do that now by having extra supplies onboard when I travel. Even though my current trailer is a torsion spring configuration and it would be much easier to remove a wheel and spring without sweating it.!

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have jammed a 4 x 4 between the axle and the trailer frame so people could limp home. It just makes for a firm ride.
    This is a good emergency fix.
    I broke a spring on my RT188 trailer and of course it took out the tire and fender on that side. I had a wrecker service pick it up and take it to my dealer. However, dragging the heavy boat/trailer up onto the Jerry bed, bent the trailer cross member. I ended up replacing the trailer.
    I should have jacked it up, replaced the blown tire, strap a short section of 4X4 between the frame and axle and limped home.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    A 4x4, chunk of firewood or whatever between the axle and frame. A ratchet strap [2" preferred] belly wrapped around the axle to keep it from moving will get you off the road or to a repair station. If the front part of the spring [locating part] is not broke the wood maybe all you need. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    Had it happen at St Clair a couple years ago. I noticed it was broke after a long day of fishing and going back to get the truck. Being able to inspect it without the boat being on it was a huge advantage. I wedged a small piece of wood between the axle and the frame and secured it with a ratchet strap. Figured I’d try that back to the Airbnb. Worked great. Drove about 4 hours the next day back to Ohio with no problem.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'll get a 4x4 cut to size and ratchet strap and keep in boat.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I did this with a rock several years ago to make it five miles to home. I was fortunate to only be going 3-5 mph when my spring broke while turning into a gas station. Once at home it was an easy DIY replacement/repair. And it was an early RT188 trailer. They seemed to have a high leaf spring failure rate.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

12. Member
    Years ago my partners trailer broke a spring, he called a flat bed, the trailer ended up being to wide for the flat bed, we ended up putting wood between the spring and the frame as mentioned above, to get it to the garage.

Good idea to carry a hunk of 4 X 4
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

[QUOTE=Bill Reynolds;12806358]This is a good emergency fix.
    I broke a spring on my RT188 trailer and of course it took out the tire and fender on that side. I had a wrecker service pick it up and take it to my dealer. However, dragging the heavy boat/trailer up onto the Jerry bed, bent the trailer cross member. I ended up replacing the trailer.
    I should have jacked it up, replaced the blown tire, strap a short section of 4X4 between the frame and axle and limped home.[/QUOTE

Block of wood and a ratchet strap

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I must be a dumb-dumb, I can't get it in my mind on how to do that. Does anyone have a picture or drawing on how it's done??

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I must be a dumb-dumb, I can't get it in my mind on how to do that. Does anyone have a picture or drawing on how it's done??
    +1

Maybe it's a Charlotte NC thing!

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

16. Member
    Put the 4 x 4 parallel to the broken spring, over the axle, find some place on the trailer frame to put both ends of the 4 x 4 under a frame part and strap it in place.

I always carry a 12" piece of 4x4 and 2 ratchet straps with me in the truck ! It's saved me or a friend many many times !!! The idea is to create a solid connection between the spring and the frame that keeps the frame from setting on the axle and then allows you to limp to a repair station or home. My now trailer has Torsion Bar Suspension so no spring, BUT I had a bearing issue this past Sept in which all I did was to remove that wheel and then was able to lime home.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    I believe its illegal to put single leaf springs on single axle trailers. Mine broke on previous boat and I also jacked up frame of trailer and installed a couple of 2x4 in between. I went to local spring shop and they said you can't replace them, you would need to upgrade both sides to multi leaves and when I did, trailer ran so much smoother and quieter.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    I believe its illegal to put single leaf springs on single axle trailers. Mine broke on previous boat and I also jacked up frame of trailer and installed a couple of 2x4 in between. I went to local spring shop and they said you can't replace them, you would need to upgrade both sides to multi leaves and when I did, trailer ran so much smoother and quieter.
    Interesting, I had not heard that single-leaf springs were illegal... at least at the federal level or in my home state of NC.

BUT if they are not they should be! Ranger put them on my tandem-axle trailer for my RT198p. Oh my did the trailer bounce and not absorb bumps especially at lower speeds. I replaced all 4 with multi-leaf springs while using a lower-rated spring that was more appropriately rated for the total weight it was carrying. WOW what a difference.

I also upgraded to wet-bolts and improved shackles and brass sleeves. These also quieted the suspension down and prolly helped with the ride.

I called and talked to an engineer at Dexter and he laughed when I shared that the manufacturer installed mono-leaf springs and passed them off as comparable. He said that the friction between the leafs is a major player in dampening or controlling bounce and rebound in the spring. He also said they do not recommend nor does it make any sense to have springs rated well above the weight they are carrying.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons