Thread: Water Leak?

Water Leak?

I am in the process of giving my engines a facelift (painting).
    I removed the lower engine covers and noticed some salt residue on the port side at the bottom of the cylinder head near where it connects to the lower thermostat housing. See pics below.
    I can't locate my manual at the moment, I know I'll have to check for leaks in the spring when I start it again.

The water flow seems very complicated on this engine.
    I know the thermostats are in the top pf the heads but there are hoses coming out of those fitting also, then there are hoses that come out of the bottom of the heads that go into the lower thermostat housing.....

Can someone explain the function of the lower thermostat?

20221227_130052.1.jpg20221227_130105.1.jpg
    Twin '05 175 Evinrudes, Model# E175MFXSOS

2. Member
    I think you might get better responses if you mention what engine you have, ETEC or whatever, year, model and HP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I think you might get better responses if you mention what engine you have, ETEC or whatever, year, model and HP
    Hello fireball. The F in model number indicates this to be a Ficht engine. By the letter M we also know this was military and in this case I believe the user was Coast Guard

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Correct, these are Coast Guard engines as the OP bought them surplus.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Hello fireball. The F in model number indicates this to be a Ficht engine. By the letter M we also know this was military and in this case I believe the user was Coast Guard
    Oh God, I'm so sorry I never looked below the pictures............DUH on me.