Thread: Newton Report?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newton Report?

Hey Y'all.....Hope everyone had a great Chistmas. I'm thinking about hitting Newton this Friday (12/30). Has anyone fished it recently who can give an update? I can't imagine too many off y'all were crazy enough to run with it these past 5-6 days, but if anyone was out before that or will be going in the next day or 2, please post a report.

2. Member
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. I just got a new depth finder, and outboard motor so I’ll be out there Saturday, Sunday, and Monday fishing and idling around get my break in period started.

3. Member
    Going tomorrow , I will post tomorrow evening before I head home . Check back for results IF any as well as temps water colors etc

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Going tomorrow , I will post tomorrow evening before I head home . Check back for results IF any as well as temps water colors etc
    Thanks Joe! Be careful out there!

5. Member
    Well, here's the skinny. 10 fish 8 bass 2 channel cats. Tried crank spinnerbaits only thing I could get bit on was Ned gp or blue sapphire. Water at west ramp was 42 degrees warmest I could find was a block over flow pipe up hot arm. Once you went past that started dropping back down. Water pretty stained really most hits were in 8 to 10 ft on do nothing banks had no luck in laydowns which kind of threw me. Talked to a few boats no one had much. My buddy and his friend blanked. Maybe it will pick up hope so good luck to all

6. Member
    That lake is so hit or miss anymore this time of year. It’s 42 at the ramp and you never know it 2-3 days it could be 52 at the ramp and then back down again. This time of year you just gotta get lucky and hit one of those good days. I’ll still be out there this weekend to give it a whirl because I need to get my motor broke in before tournaments start. It’s good to hear that the water is stained though. That’s how I like it. I’ll post reports this weekend but I might actually be doing some crappie fishing.

7. Member
    They were catching crappie.

8. Member
    I'm watching this thread closely because I/we will probably be there on Saturday. I haven't been there since before that big cold snap, but prior to that, I caught some by the big pipe and 4 or 5 in the back of a cove up that way. The cove fish were feeding and I caught them on a Pop R. It was 56 degrees in there, but like I said, that was before the big polar front. Who knows what this weekend will bring, but by golly, we gotta try!

9. Member
    Good luck in retrospect I wish I would fished the east Bank on way up to pipe with 1/8 oz big hair jig no trailer. Slow fall in those deep lay downs has worked many times . however 20 mph winds might have made it tougher. Usually aim into wind put on spot lock fish out of back of the boat. Food for thought

10. Member
    I’ve always thought it would be a good panfish lake, but everyone acted like the water temps were too hot for them.
    IDK.
    I haven’t been there in at least 12 yrs.
    Lots of changes in that time.

[QUOTE=rude150;12809966]I’ve always thought it would be a good panfish lake, but everyone acted like the water temps were too hot for them.
    IDK.
    I haven’t been there in at least 12

It is a pretty INCREDIBLE Crappie lake.

Thanks for the reports Joe and Brian. Unfortunately, I had a close friend pass away earlier in the week and I had to head to Chicago for the weekend to attend the wake/funeral. I am going to try to fish there a day next week.

12. Member
    Well, today I was the bug and Newton was the windshield. 47ish at the ramp 51ish at the discharge tube 41 way over on the cold side. Water looks good with visibility around 2 feet. 3 stinking bites all day, but they were good ones. a 5.40 a 4.55 and one I didn't weigh that looked to be between the other two. Talked to a couple guys who caught a bunch of little ones by the discharge tube. Tough day, but at least I lived to fight another day. lol

13. Member
    Day in day out my favorite lake !

Quote Originally Posted by bkirch View Post
    Well, today I was the bug and Newton was the windshield. 47ish at the ramp 51ish at the discharge tube 41 way over on the cold side. Water looks good with visibility around 2 feet. 3 stinking bites all day, but they were good ones. a 5.40 a 4.55 and one I didn't weigh that looked to be between the other two. Talked to a couple guys who caught a bunch of little ones by the discharge tube. Tough day, but at least I lived to fight another day. lol
    Good Report, Thanks Josh.

15. Member
    I was out there today from 11-4. Fished the hot side all day. 47-48 at the ramp and the warmest water I found was at what I call the “divider rocks” that separate the hot and cold side and it was 55. Get much further past that and the further you went up the colder it got. It got down to 48-49 so I turned around and went back. I’m assuming it probably got even cooler as you got closer to the buoys up north. Only caught 6 fish and none of them were keepers. Had one that was MAYBE a keeper that came off on a jerk bait. All the other fish were caught on main lake points in 8-10 feet of water on a jig. I’ll be back out there all day tomorrow too so I will post another report tomorrow evening.

16. Member
    They don't generate near as much or as regularly as they did in years past, so the temps and the current are down. The Ash Pond that feeds the discharge tube typically is dumping colder water into the lake, some times as much as 10 - 15 degrees colder in that bay than the surrounding lake. My winter rule of thumb for the discharge is if you don't see a lot of shad in there, just move on. The last two times I've been there (12/21 and late november) it seemed like the lake was down a good 10 inches to a foot from full pool. I ran into a local who said he was catching them (numbers of small fish) on #6 x-raps. The big issue is wind. If it's blowing, I typically try moving baits, particularly on obvious points. If you can get out of the wind, jigs or shaky heads are typically the ticket.

17. Member
    I meant to put a report on here for Monday Jan 2 but forgot all about it. I fished from about 9:30-4. The plant was not running but it was warm enough outside the water slowly warmed up naturally. When I got there it was 47 at the ramp and when I left it was 51. Still colder water way up the hot side by the buoys. 55 was the warmest water I saw about mid lake. I caught 18 fish and 4 of them were keepers and 2 that were right around 5. I got lucky and found 2 spots that had fish. If it wasn’t for those 2 spots I would have caught 3 fish. One of my friends that lives about 5 minutes from the ramp said the plant had been running hard up until the warmer weather hit. If you go way up the hot side as far as you can the water was 47 degrees but my friend said a week ago that 47 degree water was mid 70s and the 51 at the ramp was upper 50s. That much water fluctuation would explain why the fishing was so tough.

18. Member
    Went to Newton yesterday, the 10th. 45-53 degrees, but didn't go all the way in either direction. Water still looks kinda low with 18-24 inches of visibility. The fishing was very spotty. I caught 14 on a variety of baits at a variety of depths. Great pattern, eh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bkirch View Post
    Went to Newton yesterday, the 10th. 45-53 degrees, but didn't go all the way in either direction. Water still looks kinda low with 18-24 inches of visibility. The fishing was very spotty. I caught 14 on a variety of baits at a variety of depths. Great pattern, eh? lol
    Haha…no sense giving away all of the secrets..lol. I’m going to try to get over there either Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Haha…no sense giving away all of the secrets..lol. I’m going to try to get over there either Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
    I will likely be there on Tuesday. Maybe see ya there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast