Thread: Newton Report?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Had our club tournament there Sunday. 12.6 to win. Big bass was 5.31. I'm thinking we saw temps up to upper 50's. Looked like smoke from one stack. Good luck!

2. Member
    Cumberland County bassmasters

3. Member
    Ahhhh ok cool. Do you have a schedule for them? I live in Casey. I’ve thought about joining a club.

Quote Originally Posted by LumberZak View Post
    Cumberland County bassmasters

4. Member
    FB_IMG_1679526264416.jpg

Welcome to new members! Our meetings are the first Monday of each month at the Cumberland sportsman club. Just a group of good ol boys.

5. Member
    We had a tough time this last week. Came down Wednesday and fished Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. Temps dropped and they got a ton of rain. Fishing was tough, and about the hardest I've seen come Saturday with cold, muddy water. Our boat struggled to get big bites and everyone struggled to get numbers. A few of our other boats managed a few over 5, 2 over 6, and one at 7. I'd imagine another week or so and that place should really start to get going. Good luck all.

6. Member
    I saw pics of Maj's 6.10 whopper!!!
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

7. Member
    Club tournament last Sunday. Water was muddy, temp were 53-56. I managed to land 2 keepers. One good for 2nd big bass at 5.xxlbs. my 2 keepers were good for 2nd place. One guy in our club hit the jackpot and landed a beautiful 8.6lb. That one fish was good enough for him to get 3rd on a tough day.

Is water still muddy. Was thinking if going Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Never fished any advice would be appreciated

9. Member
    I haven’t been for a while now but I can assure you with the rain we’ve had it’s still muddy. Once Newton gets muddy it stays muddy for a while. I wouldn’t be surprised if the water won’t be muddy for the whole month of April. This time of year the muddier the better anyways so let it keep raining!!

10. Member
    Philly and I will be there Friday for the day. Hopefully we will have a good report to give. Have pretty high hopes.

A buddy of mine is running a boat for the high school tourney Sunday and he's staying at the comfort inn in effingham. People at the hotel told him there are no outside outlets to charge a boat. Any of you guys ever stay here or have any kind of solution? Any help appreciated.
    WashCo Tournament Series

12. Member
    Run an extension cord down the hall and out the door.

Here is my Newton report after fishing it for the last 3 days.
    Water Temperature: At rocks on eastside, 67 degrees on Sunday (as far north as I went)
    At dam, 75 degrees on Saturday
    At north end on westside, 88 degrees on Friday
    Water was stained but very fishable. I caught fish on plastic crawls, beavers, swim jigs and spinnerbaits.

A couple observations and this is strictly my opinion. Kayak fisherman tend to be very rude. And 92 boat tournaments and other tournaments are too much for that lake. I felt like I was in New Jersey playing follow the leader. I know I sound like an old geezer, but With the high winds Sunday and everybody trying to stay out of the winds, it was hard to find a place to fish without encroaching on someone else. I will say all the high school kids and their coaches/captains that I encountered were very pleasant and respectful. The kayakers though seemed to enjoy screwing with me.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

14. Member
    Some of those kayakers are pretty rude haha. We had a tournament there Saturday and had a couple of them just go right in front of us instead of around us. A 90 boat tournament on a nice day I think would be ok because everyone can spread out but when it’s that windy like it was yesterday I can imagine it was a mad house. The high school boys really caught them though Sunday despite the high winds.

We were there Thursday and had a hay day. Caught 12 keepers and 40-50 fish. Saturday tournament day we still caught 40-50 fish but the keepers were a lot less as we only got 5 all day. We had one big bite that was 6.18 lbs but we couldn’t find another really big bite to put us on top. We ended up 3rd with 20.86. Couldn’t even get big bass because someone had a 7.32. Fishing is really good right now and it should stay that way for a few more weeks. There’s still fish deep on the hot side full of eggs that haven’t even moved up yet and every big fish we’ve caught on the cold side is still full of eggs. The water temperature depicts spawn but it just warmed up so fast that I think it put them in a funk. It’s not always about water temperature. A friend of mine and me both agree that the majority of the fish will wait till the next full moon in May.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    Some of those kayakers are pretty rude haha. We had a tournament there Saturday and had a couple of them just go right in front of us instead of around us. A 90 boat tournament on a nice day I think would be ok because everyone can spread out but when it’s that windy like it was yesterday I can imagine it was a mad house. The high school boys really caught them though Sunday despite the high winds.

We were there Thursday and had a hay day. Caught 12 keepers and 40-50 fish. Saturday tournament day we still caught 40-50 fish but the keepers were a lot less as we only got 5 all day. We had one big bite that was 6.18 lbs but we couldn’t find another really big bite to put us on top. We ended up 3rd with 20.86. Couldn’t even get big bass because someone had a 7.32. Fishing is really good right now and it should stay that way for a few more weeks. There’s still fish deep on the hot side full of eggs that haven’t even moved up yet and every big fish we’ve caught on the cold side is still full of eggs. The water temperature depicts spawn but it just warmed up so fast that I think it put them in a funk. It’s not always about water temperature. A friend of mine and me both agree that the majority of the fish will wait till the next full moon in May.
    It goes both ways unfortunately. I'm an avid kayak fisherman and have fished and hosted kayak events on Newton numerous times. I'd say we do a pretty good job of informing our anglers to be respectful of everyone on the water and be aware of and communicate with other anglers.

We had an incident several years back where a tin boat on Newton wasn't paying attention and ran over a kayaker fishing in one of the coves. Luckily the kayaker had enough sense to jump out just in time. The boater checked on him but didn't even stick around to help pick up all of the stuff that fell into the water or if his kayak was damaged. Luckily we called the game warden and they were ticketed...no insurance.

16. Member
    It sucks that it has to be that way no matter how you look at it. I’m the type that doesn’t care if you pull up next to me and start fishing. Especially at Newton because there’s so many fish no one is going to catch all of them. Especially when you’re on the reed pattern just going down the bank fishing reeds. There’s so many reeds and so many targets no 2 people are hitting the same spots.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    It goes both ways unfortunately. I'm an avid kayak fisherman and have fished and hosted kayak events on Newton numerous times. I'd say we do a pretty good job of informing our anglers to be respectful of everyone on the water and be aware of and communicate with other anglers.

We had an incident several years back where a tin boat on Newton wasn't paying attention and ran over a kayaker fishing in one of the coves. Luckily the kayaker had enough sense to jump out just in time. The boater checked on him but didn't even stick around to help pick up all of the stuff that fell into the water or if his kayak was damaged. Luckily we called the game warden and they were ticketed...no insurance.
    There is no excuse for anybody to be rude on the water, let alone dangerous. I didn't appreciate a guy sitting on a spot for half an hour not fishing while waiting for his tournament to start. I didn't appreciate a guy running up and down a bank I was fishing, pinging it looking for fish before his tournament started (different guy). But the best one was when I was in a long e/w cove. I go to pull into a small cove to the south to fish the west bank. A kayaker on the east bank immediately cuts across the lake and pulls in front of me. So I decided to fish a small cove on the north side of the long cove. Next thing I know, the same kayaker cuts me off again and starts fishing the point. I could have pitched my bait in his lap he was so close. Since I refuse to stoop to that level, I just left the cove altogether. And just so you know, if I saw anybody in trouble on the water, I'll be the first one there. Doesn't matter if it's a boat, kayak or even a jet ski, that's just the way I was raised.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    There is no excuse for anybody to be rude on the water, let alone dangerous. I didn't appreciate a guy sitting on a spot for half an hour not fishing while waiting for his tournament to start. I didn't appreciate a guy running up and down a bank I was fishing, pinging it looking for fish before his tournament started (different guy). But the best one was when I was in a long e/w cove. I go to pull into a small cove to the south to fish the west bank. A kayaker on the east bank immediately cuts across the lake and pulls in front of me. So I decided to fish a small cove on the north side of the long cove. Next thing I know, the same kayaker cuts me off again and starts fishing the point. I could have pitched my bait in his lap he was so close. Since I refuse to stoop to that level, I just left the cove altogether. And just so you know, if I saw anybody in trouble on the water, I'll be the first one there. Doesn't matter if it's a boat, kayak or even a jet ski, that's just the way I was raised.
    I hear you, and some of that is kind of unavoidable the way we fish our events. Since it takes us longer to get to our spots (fast for us is 4-5 mph)...we sometimes give anglers time to get to their starting spots and if they arrive early they can't do anything but wait until lines in or they get disqualified. If they were there first (fishing or not) then it is what it is. I've done the same but have had boaters start casting on top of me regardless at other tournament locations.

Cutting people off is not acceptable and they should have known better. Hard to say too since I wasn't there.

And I know most boaters would help another angler out no matter if they were in a kayak or not. Glad you are one of them! But some make you scratch your head. The one experience I mentioned and the other was an older gentlemen falling into 50 degree water. We were struggling to get him to shore and a boat within casting distance ignored the entire situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123