Thread: Broken Bow

Broken Bow

Planning a trip to the Bow last weekend of March. Haven’t been on the lake in 3 years. For those that know the Lake around that time of year, give me some pointers/advice on the smallies, LM, crappie, and walleye?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

I went the last week of March this year and did OK with jigs around laydown timber and jerkbaits on primary and secondary points. Caught a mixture of largies and spots with a couple smallies that showed up randomly. The lake was coming up and had gained a few feet when I was there which had the fish kinda scattered.
    I've been there in late Feb./early Mar. when it was stable and absolutely wrecked 'em. If Pine Creek isn't chocolate milk, it's close and usually worth a try also.

Thanks Klinger, definitely keep all this in mind!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Any SE Oklahoma members chime in?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Anybody been on the Bow lately? Care to share anything besides crickets?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

6. Member
    I'll be down there the last weekend of march also, will be mainly crappie fishing. Not sure what stage they will be at but will be giving it hell. I'm in a black silver and red phoenix with stars and stripes on the motor cowling. If you see me out there stop by and say hi.
    2019 Phoenix 921 Pro XP/2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by jbradfishn View Post
    I'll be down there the last weekend of march also, will be mainly crappie fishing. Not sure what stage they will be at but will be giving it hell. I'm in a black silver and red phoenix with stars and stripes on the motor cowling. If you see me out there stop by and say hi.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Planning a trip to the Bow last weekend of March. Haven’t been on the lake in 3 years. For those that know the Lake around that time of year, give me some pointers/advice on the smallies, LM, crappie, and walleye?
    I'm thinking seriously about going down there then myself. Wanting to straddle a weekend with a few days off. Wanted to go earlier in the month but finding an inexpensive place for my boatdog and myself has been difficult- I forgot about that Spring Break thing.
    If I go down I'll let you know and we can all compare notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about going down there then myself. Wanting to straddle a weekend with a few days off. Wanted to go earlier in the month but finding an inexpensive place for my boatdog and myself has been difficult- I forgot about that Spring Break thing.
    If I go down I'll let you know and we can all compare notes.
    Definitely!!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Mother Nature is doing everything she can to keep the lakes down there screwed up. BB is about 13’ high and Pine CreeK is about 25’ high. Ought to make for an interesting trip. Water is definitely not going to be as clear as last year in the same time period. At least it’s looking like we might get some spring warmth finally. I’m headed down there on the 24th. When you going down?

Mother Nature is doing everything she can to keep the lakes down there screwed up. BB is about 13’ high and Pine CreeK is about 25’ high. Ought to make for an interesting trip. Water is definitely not going to be as clear as last year in the same time period. At least it’s looking like we might get some spring warmth finally. I’m headed down there on the 24th. When you going down?
    It sure isn’t, and from what I can tell more is on the way next week! Either way, I’ll be down there the 30th-2nd. Lord willing, we find some fish.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

My trip down there got cut short by a medical emergency with my pup. Friday I got out on Broken Bow with it 11' high and caught a few smallies, spots and walleye. The walleye bite was good up shallow around the islands. Caught them on jerkbaits and swimjigs. Back of the pockets were very dirty with lots of runoff from the torrential rainfall early afternoon on Friday. Saturday all ramps were closed except the marina due to the lake coming up a few feet overnight. There was a tournament going on and no place to park so I ran an hour and a half west to McGee Creek. It was pretty dingy but was only a few feet high. I saw water as warm as 67 in the backs of pockets. Early in the day the bite was nonexistent, but as the day went on fish were packed into the backs of pockets. In the afternoon the bite was fantastic. Mostly small males, spots outnumbered the largies by 3:1 and I also caught crappie and sandies. Caught some on chatterbait and traps but the senko and Ned rig were the real killers. Even in that dirty water I was getting bit every cast on that stupid Ned rig in the backs of pockets. I ended the day with a 6.24# largie on the Ned. That night I had to load up and drive home to get my pup to the emergency vet clinic at OSU, so I never got to get back out on Broken Bow. Good luck!

My trip down there got cut short by a medical emergency with my pup. Friday I got out on Broken Bow with it 11' high and caught a few smallies, spots and walleye. The walleye bite was good up shallow around the islands. Caught them on jerkbaits and swimjigs. Back of the pockets were very dirty with lots of runoff from the torrential rainfall early afternoon on Friday. Saturday all ramps were closed except the marina due to the lake coming up a few feet overnight. There was a tournament going on and no place to park so I ran an hour and a half west to McGee Creek. It was pretty dingy but was only a few feet high. I saw water as warm as 67 in the backs of pockets. Early in the day the bite was nonexistent, but as the day went on fish were packed into the backs of pockets. In the afternoon the bite was fantastic. Mostly small males, spots outnumbered the largies by 3:1 and I also caught crappie and sandies. Caught some on chatterbait and traps but the senko and Ned rig were the real killers. Even in that dirty water I was getting bit every cast on that stupid Ned rig in the backs of pockets. I ended the day with a 6.24# largie on the Ned. That night I had to load up and drive home to get my pup to the emergency vet clinic at OSU, so I never got to get back out on Broken Bow. Good luck!
    Appreciate the update. Still headin down there Thursday. Might have to divert to McGee or Sardis; water levels will determine it.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Had quite a bit of success catchin crappie n smallmouth around the islands. As the weather improved, so did the LM bite in the back of the creeks. Water temps in the back of the creeks reached 62. Males were definitely chompin. Caught most on Ned rigs n white spinnerbaits. Overall, approximately 20 caught on late Friday afternoon as soon as the rain left and all day Saturday.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

15. Member
    Anyone else been on BB lately? Heading down to Toledo bend tonight from Minnesota and with the weather forecast down there we might stop short and fish broken bow tomorrow. Wasn't the plan so not sure what the lake is like or if it's worth the stop. Heard it's a beautiful area. Will fish be shallow and ready to eat? Appreciate any help with an easy ramp as well. Should we be up in the river or closer to the dam area in the pockets? Appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    Anyone else been on BB lately? Heading down to Toledo bend tonight from Minnesota and with the weather forecast down there we might stop short and fish broken bow tomorrow. Wasn't the plan so not sure what the lake is like or if it's worth the stop. Heard it's a beautiful area. Will fish be shallow and ready to eat? Appreciate any help with an easy ramp as well. Should we be up in the river or closer to the dam area in the pockets? Appreciate it
    When we were there, the only two ramps available were Carson creek n the Marina (by the Dam).
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

17. Member
    USACE lake page shows lake is 10.50 ABOVE normal @ 7:00PM,it is usually very clear but don't know the clarity at this time. I haven't been on it since last year.

18. Member
    Took a little vacation to Broken Bow this weekend. Walked down to the lake and saw two on beds. Caught one on a zoom green pumpkin trick worm. Released and it went right back on it.

Planning on fishing there tomorrow and will report after.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Fished the upper end of the lake today. Saw a few bass still on beds. Most all my fish today were caught shallow (under 6’) with a good number being right up on the bank. Brush is still flooded, and any isolated small clumps were prime areas to get bit. Soft plastic craw was my weapon of choice. Ended up with somewhere around 25. Nothing big, but did lose a really good one right at the boat. Also caught a tank crappie that was released. Lake was busy and saw a number of folks running Livescope to find schools of bass.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS