Thread: Fishing gloves

Fishing gloves

I'm looking for a good pair of cold weather fishing gloves. Tried several and none I really like.

2. Member
    I like Simms half finger wool but everyone has their own preference

My favorites are some waterfowl hunting/shooting gloves that have lycra on the trigger and thumb. I can usually still cast with them on.

I still take a 2 gallon ziplock with about a dozen pairs of various gloves, heaters, and some nitrile disposables. If my hands or feet get cold I go home.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

4. Member
    Head makes a decent pair of "golf" gloves that are light weight, comfotable and pretty warm. They also have texture on the palms so you dont slip holding your rod/reel. If half finger gloves is more your liking I also like the wool Fish Monkey gloves. I have tried everything to keep my hands warm (fishing in Maine) and these are the best I have found. One trick I use is to put a large HOT HANDS warmer in each jacket hand pocket so you can occasionally stick your hands in your pocket for extra warm up!
    Last edited by bgibson; 12-25-2022 at 05:15 PM.

5. Member
    I like Striker gloves for the cold.

6. Member
    I’ve got them all!! Simms, carhartt, aftco, bass monkey….. The best I’ve found are Sitka water foul gloves.

I'm like a lot of others in that I've tried a bunch. The ones I keep coming back to are a pair of Cabelas Guidewear branded windblocker "glomitts." They're not really insulated, they only have a terrycloth-like liner in the flipover part, but do a really great job of keeping my hands functional down into the 20s, and I'm a guy whose hands get cold really easily. It's really unbelievable how well they work. The problem is it looks like they've been discontinued, all I can find now are the gloves missing the flipover part. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...gloves-for-men

I did see the same thing rebranded to Bass Pro and Gore-Tex "Infinium" which is Gore-Tex's windblocker (not waterproof) tech. As for the necessity of the flipover part: while it's not very usable while actually fishing, it can be helpful for the hand holding your rod, especially if you haven't been fishing with it for a time and the rod has gotten cold. It can also help when making short moves, or even to cover your "winding" hand if you're someone who uses a reel retrieve that doesn't require switching hands between casting and winding hands. I've used these the most while out ice fishing, and have actually been able to stand driving a four-wheeler (without heated grips) using only the flipover part in temps down into the low teens. I found them in the bargain bin several years ago and bought 2 pairs. I went with size 2X when I'd normally wear XL which really helps with circulation and makes a big difference in keeping hands warm. I can easily stick a hand warmer on the back of my hand under the glove when it's colder which is something I do pretty regularly.

Here's a photo of a post-Thanksgiving smallmouth several weeks back waaaay up north wearing them. You can see one of the loops used for pulling them off has come loose, but they've got a lot of use on them and that's really the only thing that's worn out with them at all. The other pair I have has just as much use and looks good as new. Temps were in the low 20s to start and reached the low 30s fishing from daylight til dark, and the only problem I had with my hands throughout the day was getting past getting the handle on my rod warmed up initially. Thankfully I didn't have to switch rods or really even set it down for a move all day as we were able to smash on them pretty good in a small area.

Striker Stealth are the only other ones I've ever been able to actually fish in with both casting and spinning gear. Full on gloves are never going to allow as much dexterity as actual fingertips that are possible with flipovers, but these are the ones I go to when it's too cold for the flipovers, or when I get my hands cold (like from removing them and handling a fish) and want to warm them up more efficiently. I'm on my second set of the Stealth, and they've been quite good. The one caveat is the reason I'm on my second set was that the first leaked pretty badly just from handling walleyes while ice fishing. They're supposed to be waterproof, and these were decidedly not, despite never being fully dunked. That said, the company's customer service is excellent. They were over a year old at this point, the length of the warranty, I had just never learned about them leaking as I had been careful not to get them wet on previous trips...this one was different as I was scouting before setting up a shelter where I would be plenty warm, so wasn't as careful. They only had me send a photo of the gloves and new ones were on my doorstep in 2 days. The new ones have not leaked under the same treatment.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Putting hand warmers in my gloves are a key thing for me as well!!

9. Member
    I use similar gloves (like Drew) made by Simms for late autumn fishing. Unfortunatly, these are not made anymore, like the others mentioned. They were gray with an orange lining. The best I've found.

I also use an electric hand warmer, not in the gloves but in my brest pocket. I found that it kinda warms the blood that circulates in that area ( heart) and thhat goes to the extrimeties, hands and feet.

10. Member
    Go to Tractor supply or Rural King and get a pair of Kinco waterproof thermal gloves. I bought them for this last cold snap and am impressed. Grabbed a rod and made a few casts around the yard. Warm, dry and flexible.

11. Member
    I use the latex tight fitting gloves like you use to change oil on automobiles. Preferably black ones to absorb heat from sun. Wear a pair of half finger gloves with the silicone grip on the palms over them. Only thing that works for me to retain dexterity and feel. The latex keeps water and wind off your hands. I can fish in them all day even if the half glove gets damp.

12. Member
    SealSkinz
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

13. Member
    Foot joy winter golf gloves. Warm enough, thin enough and more durable than I would have thought.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

I also use FJ winter golf gloves, but they are not windproof, and hands can get real cold on long runs in cold weather, so I also have a pair of Cabelas brand windstopper half finger mitts with fold over mitten that I put on when driving the boat.

But I am in Florida, so rarely face any "real" cold weather :)