Ghost strap rusting!

I can't believe, after two months, the ring on the Ghost strap is already starting to rust. I mean, a $3500 freaking purchase and they cheap out on a $2 part

What's a decent replacement with Stainless hardware? I notice Motorguide specifies theirs is stainless. Rod Saver has one but doesn't specify, plus it's an odd two-piece design... Minn Kota doesn't specify either.

Heck do I really even need one, I've got a Troll Tamer locking that sucker down

2. Member
    Even stainless can rust! They probably got it from a dealer that said stainless and used a cheap 304 or something low grade. Call Lowrance and get a replacement.nnI never installed mine and it has been find through some really rough stuff too.

3. Member
    florida issue? have not seen that up here
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Mine is rusted too. Minnkota straps I’ve not witnessed them rust yet over my years.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I can't believe, after two months, the ring on the Ghost strap is already starting to rust. I mean, a $3500 freaking purchase and they cheap out on a $2 part

What's a decent replacement with Stainless hardware? I notice Motorguide specifies theirs is stainless. Rod Saver has one but doesn't specify, plus it's an odd two-piece design... Minn Kota doesn't specify either.

Heck do I really even need one, I've got a Troll Tamer locking that sucker down

Since when have those been painted, Mine is not painted its polished Stainless. Never have seen one painted. That is what is peeling off I don't see any rust. Just call Lowrance and get a replacement you have a 3 yr warranty.

They send me a new one, looks the same as the old one (which is much, much worse now). Need to swap it out but it's a pain due to pulling the bow mounts, plate, etc to get to the TM bolts. Why someone hasn't come up with a better strap setup is beyond me. Actually, I think PP's is designed so it goes through the base, not under = so you don't have to undo the TM mounting bolts if you want to change it out or adjust it's position etc down the road.

7. Member
    Stainless is just that stain less in other words it will rust just takes longer and its more sustainable to rust prevention get yourself one from minn kota I have one on each of my troll motors and both have held up quite well no rust to date over 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    Stainless is just that stain less in other words it will rust just takes longer and its more sustainable to rust prevention get yourself one from minn kota I have one on each of my troll motors and both have held up quite well no rust to date over 5 years.
    Mines only... 3 mo old, that's why I was so upset it was rusting already. It's now bascially complete covered in surface rust. Maybe I'll pick up the MK one instead....thanks.

9. Member
    Do you use it in brackish or full saltwater? Those straps may not use the quality saltwater rated steel. Cant tell from the pick, but stainless should not rust in 3 Mos.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I'm in Florida, hell the whole state is brackish to some extent, but no I don't go into saltwater or heavily brackish water...

I have my strap from my Fortrex (six years old, no rust) maybe I'll just use that one instead.

11. Member
    Ghost is not real stainless, a magnet will stick to mine. They cheaped out hard. Thinking I am going to make one out of 304 or 316….
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I installed the strap from my old Fortrex today... Been going strong for six years with no rust, so will just keep using it on the Ghost

13. Member
    Mine is rusted also

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Mine is rusted too. Minnkota straps I’ve not witnessed them rust yet over my years.
    Mine is rusted too. Less than 1 year old. Located in Texas. Poor quality.