Thread: Lance 650

Lance 650

Anyone have one of these. Thinking this will fill my needs on an F250 and allow easy towing of my rig. 2 people at most.

2. Member
    What’s your GVWR? Minus actual truck weight and you’ll know your payload. Good camper but will probably put you over GVWR depending on how many options you have on the truck. A 250 can handle both camper weight and towing if you selected the lighter gas motor, shorter cab, etc. if it’s a crew cab diesel, it’ll be close or possibly overloaded. Lots of guys do it but your insurance company will leave you swinging in the breeze if you’re in an accident. I had a similar camper, Camplite 6.8 and it’s a great way to travel for fishing. Looking for a pop up style one now. I carried it on a 3500 SRW.

Dont have the truck yet but should be no issue. Gas 7.3 crewcab.
    Just wonder about the camper size and towing.
    Thank you

The Lance is a good quality camper, I run a Four Wheel Camper about the same size, its cramped with 2 guys, but workable and good sized for my wife and I. I tow my Basscat and have the camper on all the time. I've had an 8 foot Lance before and it worked great, camping and towing with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    The Lance is a good quality camper, I run a Four Wheel Camper about the same size, its cramped with 2 guys, but workable and good sized for my wife and I. I tow my Basscat and have the camper on all the time. I've had an 8 foot Lance before and it worked great, camping and towing with no problems
    All new to me, big novice here but it seems like something I'd like at this point in my life. The 650 has a nice spot for a second person to sleep plus all things I need. Now I am questioning whether the F250 can handle the weight. Gonna put this lightest Lance 650 at around 2450 wet and add 700 tongue weight. 2 people and gear add 600 for a total of 3750. Seems like a lot and past what I think the 250 can handle. Might have to move to a 350 now. I didnt want to move to a 350 because of different plates and safety checks. hmmmmm. Decisions

6. Member
    The Lance 650, along with the Northstar Liberty, was initially on my list when looking at campers years ago. I just couldn't get over the fridge being in the overhead with the bed in the 650. I liked the Liberty, but decided on the Northstar Laredo SC. It's really a great way to travel whether with/without the boat. I had my Ford F250 (still have it as my beater/hunt truck) when I bought the Laredo, but knew I was going to get me an F350 with the 6.7 for traveling/towing. Love my setup! Good luck in your search/decision!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    The Lance 650, along with the Northstar Liberty, was initially on my list when looking at campers years ago. I just couldn't get over the fridge being in the overhead with the bed in the 650. I liked the Liberty, but decided on the Northstar Laredo SC. It's really a great way to travel whether with/without the boat. I had my Ford F250 (still have it as my beater/hunt truck) when I bought the Laredo, but knew I was going to get me an F350 with the 6.7 for traveling/towing. Love my setup! Good luck in your search/decision!!
    Only reason I like the layout is because of the dinette bed. I could deal with the fridge thing but who knows. I usually fishing with second person and need somewhere for them to sleep.

8. Member
    700 lb tongue weight is high for a bass boat. Rule of thumb is 10% of trailer weight. My Ranger Z521C trailer has a GVW of 5000 lbs, so estimate 500 lbs. However I measured tongue weight and it was less than 350 lbs.

That said, do not undersize the truck. Have a good understanding of your total weight. Add all accessories on the camper and the truck.

I have an Arctic Fox 990 on a 3500 Ram Cummins dually. Examples of add on accessories adding weight:
    Hitch extender
    Air bags
    Front hitch
    Front cargo rack for generator
    Generator
    Step bars on truck

Stuff starts adding up.

9. Member
    2200 lb camper. My 3/4 ton says max slide in camper weight is 1600lbs

GVWR 10500. Curb weight estimate 6800.

11. Member
    I've got this truck and camper combo posted on the misc classifieds forum fyi.... Just listed it today.

And H2Power is right, I had to add a lot of things to my F450 to ensure stability. Airbags, torqlift stable loads, magnum 30K hitch etc..etc...Notice my truck doesn't squat at all....it did before that stuff.

20220506_114217.jpg