Thread: Rub Rail

Rub Rail

Need some tips on replacing a worn out rub rail on a 2000 Javelin.
    I have had it off to reseal the gap between top cap and hull which had leaks that drove me nuts for two seasons!
    Should i fill in the old screw holes with fiberglass? it would seem impossible to put a new rail on using the existing holes.
    Need suggestions on spacing of screws and how to keep it straight without waviness from hole to hole.
    2000 Javelin 18 Venom
    2002 Javelin MSX 21 Walleye boat

2. Member
    I'd use boatlife caulk or 3m 4200. Also put it on the screws and they won't back out. Heated shop will help as would a second person to help. I've done dozens by myself and stretch it out as much as possible and tape it up to hold it in place. It's easy to follow the line where it goes so you don't screw up. Biggest thing is not to overtighten the screws or you'll see indents on them. Also helps to have 2 good cordless drills. I've never been able to use existing holes when putting on new ones...might have 5 or 6 total that will line up out of 150 lol. Rubrails are predrilled so there's no guessing. On a few you'll have to drill because they'll line up with existing hull screws.

3. Member
    t
    Thanks APS!
    2000 Javelin 18 Venom
    2002 Javelin MSX 21 Walleye boat

4. Member
    When I did my restore I filled all of the holes with resin/cabosil...mixed it up in small batches and pressed it in there as good as I could.

5. Member
    3m 5200 fast cure.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR