Thread: Squarebill line

Squarebill line

Anyone using braid on squarebils ? Have seen some guys doing it on fishing shows.
    Proud Army Dad

I use braid with a YoZuri Hybrid leader with no issues at all.
    Ranting incoherently

3. Member
    YKG SS112 Sinking Braid/Super Ester mainline with Sunline FC100 leader with FG knot tied via Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 tool. Works wonderfully well!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    30 lb. Power Pro, no leader

5. Member
    I use flouro but one of the guys I fish with uses 30lb Power Pro without a leader an catches a ton of fish.

I’m not a big Crankbait fisherman but going to spend more time using them next year. I’ve used mono , Copolymer , fluorocarbon and never noticed any difference. I think that I’ll give 20lb braid a try. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Proud Army Dad

Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    I’m not a big Crankbait fisherman but going to spend more time using them next year. I’ve used mono , Copolymer , fluorocarbon and never noticed any difference. I think that I’ll give 20lb braid a try. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Just be sure the rod you use is a cranking rod that has a slow enough top end to keep from ripping the bait out of the fish’s mouth.
    Ranting incoherently

8. Member
    Got a buddy that uses #30 braid for everything and he does just fine

9. Scraps
    Nah. Can't see braid fishing around hard cover. I use mono. I imagine you might have a tough time freeing baits with no stretch braid as opposed to mono/fluoro.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Nah. Can't see braid fishing around hard cover. I use mono. I imagine you might have a tough time freeing baits with no stretch braid as opposed to mono/fluoro.
    Agree for this very reason in addition to losing fish due to no stretch. I use 15.lb. InvizX or 15 lb. P-line CXX. The P-line when I fish shallower water and I don't want the bait to dive as deep due to the large diameter.

11. Member
    14 pound suffix siege mono. I use the green which for whatever reason is limper than the clear. I use this mono for all my cranking. Agree that mono is the best for squarebills as you can snap your line if snagged and 90 percent of the time the bait will come free. Cannot do that with braid. Braid is also terrible around wood where a squarebill shines. Digs in.

12. Member
    I've thrown squarebills on braid when using one of my S-glass rods by Rich Forhan, otherwise I normally use mono.

I tried it, but lost way too many fish. If you had a noodle of a glass rod you could probably do it, but still wouldn't want to do it around wood as braid likes to dig into wood like Amistad Tackle says.

I use 12-18 lb Sniper depending on conditions. I'm usually ripping them through grass, so mono or higher stretch varieties of fluoro just don't work...or you have to work waaay too hard. Sniper is just about the best I've found for being low-stretch enough to free the bait while not causing me to lose a bunch of fish.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 12-23-2022 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Fixing typo in Sniper line sizes
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    No, 14-17 lb mono or copolymer for me.

15. Member
    15 lbs McCoys Mean Green

16. Member
    I always use 20# mono and never had any issues.

17. Member
    I've used straight braid and it worked ok except when fishing rip rap. The braid was getting nicked up a lot from the rock, so I added a 2-3 foot flouro leader and it solved the problem. As others have said, just make sure you use a soft rod to help offset the no-stretch of the braid.

18. Member
    Either 10 lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid, or 12-14 lb Sniper.

19. Member
    Never had a problem throwing squarebills with 12 lb floro.

20. Member
    Izorline Platinum Green 15lb. The line is cheap compared to most and tough, it's a copoly.